So very much has happened in life since I last updated and somehow it just seems to daunting to revisit. I have decided to do a quick recap {hahahahahaha...right, Jodi's going to recap the last three months...the short version...yeah, whatever!} I'll try my best. Grab a cup of coffee or a bottle of tequila...this may take awhile...
I think I last posted sometime around my birthday. Truthfully I cannot even remember what happened on my birthday, but I can vividly remember what happened right after it. And even that story started well before it. Here goes...
K has choked on his food for some time. I was always telling him to cut his steak up into smaller, actual bite-sized pieces and stuff like that. It was getting to the point of choking while eating and filling multiple glasses with liquid to get through a meal. More recent than that he was also having some issues with his tush...I imagine he'll kill me for stating this but I really don't know what else to say. After much ado and many doctor visits and many bills later, {because he had also been visiting the doc numerously for a finger infection} he had testing done by a GI specialist at both ends. He was scheduled for a colonoscopy and at last second the results came back on his throat and they scheduled a throat stretch {don't know the technical term} and biopsy to go along with the other. I have to say, K was so ridiculous under the influence of meds. First he was crazy funny and then maybe crazy annoying because he literally kept repeating the same questions and comments he could remember hearing All. Day. Long. All night too. The worst part for him, I assume, is that he was totally set to hear he had cancer. Every time he is sick or whatever he thinks that. He's sure he will get the work diagnosis possible for any ailment. He's not a hypochondriac. He had a brain tumor which took something like ten years to diagnose, after having the wrong diagnosis and treatment originally. I totally get it. At any rate, he was very nervous to have these biopsies done. He ended up having a polyp the size of I don't know what but the picture looked like an overinflated balloon...very shiny and transparent. His throat biopsy pointed to a potential food allergy, causing his white cells to inflame in his throat, and if I am getting this right by memory, those cells aren't even supposed to be in the throat. We were told both reports would be back in a few days and we would go from there with treatment. We went home and he griped about his soft food diet and headed off to a football coach camp. After a long wait, K received his results. As far as a food allergy was concerned, he would have to go to an allergist to be tested and he was put on a steroid inhaler to keep inflammation down and another med to stop acid reflux...something he has never had. Money well spent. The other diagnosis floored us both...the polyp the doctor removed was cancerous. Cancer. Keith was carrying around a polyp with cancer in it. Even in my wildest dreams, I was not ready to hear that. Something he doesn't know {until he reads this} is that while he was gone at camp, I researched and researched and researched online and broke down in my living room and pleaded to God to help me through this because I didn't have the strength on my own to help K through a cancer result. I had no idea how to be what he needed me to be. How to give him what he needed. And that was before the results came in. I had a different feeling once he explained that the doctor said the cancer was completely contained within the polyp and it was gone from his body. The fact remained, however, that if he wasn't experiencing problems, he wouldn't have had a routine colonoscopy for several years. And then what? Of course it is my nature to see the negative side of things instead of rejoicing in the miracle presented to us. The doc said to come back in a year to have another scope done. It is my direct intention to have him do a complete blood work thing in six months!!! As for the allergy, Keith found out he is allergic to barley! It couldn't be more appropriate for a boy who could live on pizza and beer!
Keith said he didn't know how serious he'd be with getting rid of barley {beer and pizza} and I flat out told him to not be an idiot! I love him dearly, which is why I will make sure he takes this seriously. The truth is he is a definite creature of habit and change makes him flat out mad. I knew it wouldn't be as hard as he thought simply because I had gone gluten free
I decided back in January that this year was going to be phenomenal simply because it is 2013 and thirteen is my favorite number. Easy enough. We've had many wonderful things happen but, man, we have been tested in so many ways. I see more and more clearly that God has a hand in everything and it isn't my job to question anything but to have complete faith that everything will turn out the way it is intended to. I'm human and it's hard but I'm getting it.
Wow! That was a lot for today! Good for me... I made it through literally two weeks of the five month catch up! {sarcasm} Ha, I warned you to grab a beverage of choice...this will take me some time. In the meantime I also switched computers so all of my correlating pics are someplace else. I will get back in the swing of things. It's never a dull moment here.

No comments:
Post a Comment