2.13.2013

What Is Going On Here...?

I am stumped.  I designed a really cute new header for my blog last month, then hit the button of death, and now I have ended up with this debacle.  And I had to go to bloggers site to write a new post.  From my own page...nothing!  What is happening?  I'm trying to figure out how to maybe change from blogger to something else because I cannot go back to my old default.  This is not cool.

Anywho...today is my birthday.  I do not typically put that out there but this is my space, although somewhat foreign to me right now, so I'm going with it.  I do not have it published on Facebook but with all the changes, it could still be on there.  Some friends commented this morning.  It makes me a little uncomfy.  Don't get me wrong...I love my birthday and love to celebrate it way past the date but it's still strange to post anything about it on social media...like I'm asking for well wishes. Blah.  Since I'm putting it out there on here, I need to share a cute card my baby made me last night.  He received five dollars from his Stratton Grandparents for Valentine's Day and that sweet little soul offered me his money as a gift for my birthday.  He was so adorable about it...almost shy.  It was so incredibly sweet.  And he wouldn't take no for an answer so I will have to buy him something with it instead. ♥ {and check out the sweet birthday shirt...but because we are both bald I don't know who is wearing it}
Our family received a very thoughtful Christmas gift from our daycare lady. {and friend}  I kind of forgot I had taken a picture of it until I read in the Beacon a couple weeks back that the Verlanders {Justin's parents} were coming to town to speak and do a book signing at two local schools!  What an awesome opportunity for kids {and parents too} to meet such a famous ball player's parents!  Apparently the Verlanders were somewhere else locally before Christmas and we received this signed book as a gift...a true gift indeed.
 I am all over the place today but want to show that I don't just write about my projects...I actually accomplish some of them! {that's not to say I don't have a ton of unfinished projects at home...but I have a few that actually get done!}  I have been on a labeling frenzy since January.  I found some great Martha Stewart labels at Staples but couldn't get there anytime I was out so instead of procrastinating, and spending mega bucks on her labels, I decided to make my own!  We are planning to paint the laundry room this winter {years in the making} and have the free paint {thanks seester} so I took the first step and made coordinating labels for my new baskets.
 This makes sorting laundry for the boys super easy.  Before, whites were in a tall wicker basket in the bathroom and delicates were in a larger wicker basket in the hall closet.  These plastic bins aren't as pretty but they are super functional...and all in one spot!
 The labels for Kyle's room are nothing exciting but I am totally stoked nonetheless.  It makes for hassle free cleaning at the end of the day. {or when I nag him enough to finally clean his room}
 My hall closet got a mini makeover as well.  Up close the squiggles aren't really that cute but they add color to dreary white labels and of course make finding stuff more manageable!
 I also updated a couple topiaries from my mother.  I stripped the old greenery off and added mossy greens instead.  My kitchen was a mess and the moss didn't want to adhere to the foam with spray adhesive but I did not give up...
 ...and with a little paint I love the way they turned out!  They look very clean.  You cannot see the detail, but I painted the pots a deep turquoise color then covered the paint in heirloom white and lightly distressed the paint for a worn look.  I have currently added these to my television console in my living room...for now.
Super Bowl Sunday was pretty low key.  We wanted to get together with friends but couldn't host due to a host of issues in our basement. {not all bad} We got together with the Olson slash Hosticka slash Aardema clan and the Sigmons for a night of fun.  The kids tried keeping up with the pools and took breaks to watch videos on you tube maybe?

 I would say the most popular event of the night was not the commercials {although interesting...like the hot chick kissing the goofy guy} or the power outage that changed the dynamics of the game, but the break we took to watch, in awe, as middle-school-art-teacher-slash-new-varsity-head-coach Mr. Sigmon drew a chalk drawing on the wall.  Phenom, Tony...phenom.
We are in the home stretch as basketball winds down at the end of the month.  Last week was football sign ups and today is baseball sign ups.  Caleb played in a game last week and made two three-pointers...nice job!  He shot from beyond the three point area and even Caleb said had he realized he was so far back he probably wouldn't have attempted the shot.  All's well that ends well though, right?  His biggest struggle this season, as with all seasons of all sports, is that he thinks too much.  Too much about the dribbling, the passing, the shooting, the team, the coaches...I remind him constantly what a great coach once said to him after a game..."You played out of your mind today!!"  It was a day of no sleep the night before and ball all weekend so there really was no thinking going on!  And, of course, I also like to remind him of a Nike quote that we enjoy...IF NO ONE THINKS YOU CAN THEN YOU HAVE TO. Yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...but he knows I love him either way so it's all good.

Andrew is smack dab in the middle of the school play rehearsals.  He got the part of Cat in the Hat and I cannot wait to see him in his glory!  He was hilarious last year in the middle school play and, again, I do not watch or listen to him rehearse...I totally love the anticipation of the surprise!  I received an email about an audition for the youth theater but told the director Andrew would not have time to try out for the production since he's in the middle of this other one and told her he got the part of Dr. Seuss!  Haha, I'm such an idiot!  Oh well.  She knew better...she's helping with choreography! {which made me feel even more dumb knowing she knows what's really going on!}  I was hoping he'd have a little time to not try out for the youth theater but to maybe do some behind the scenes work with lighting, production or some other part.  I think it would be great for him to get all his fingers and toes wet and not just a few...but he really has no extra time to make it all work so we wait.  For now.  He'll have a chance to audition this spring for the summer play.  Send good thoughts his way.

Kyle finished up session two indoor soccer last week and Monday started session three.  He had set a goal of ten goals last session and as of the second to last game, he made nine.  Pressure.  At his last game he scored three goals and had three assists!  Way to go Kyle!  This time he set another goal...fifteen goals...and to play goalie.  I think it's great to have high expectations of yourself, but fifteen goals is pretty hefty.  Monday night he scored a goal and got to play goalie.  The team lost three to two...and he had two balls get past him.  I think he's smart enough to do the math...and return to the field!  He was pretty bummed he had everything to do with losing the game.  Kids are funny.  He got a taste of the other side and much prefers the flavor of kicking instead of catching and blocking!

Tonight he also signs up for baseball.  And comp cheer districts are this Friday.  I thought I was done but we compete in the GMAA next Wednesday as well.  Talent Show practices are still going on until March first but comp will be over.  Someone asked me what I will do with all my free time.  My answer was, "Drive my kids around to practices and games!"  In the grand scheme of things, it is a much smaller commitment than coaching.  Bring on spring! {and tennis and soccer and baseball and...baseball!}

No comments: