This is my last week of football. Caleb plays his last game of the season Thursday {and my girls cheer for the last time as well} and Keith follows suit Friday. This is always a bittersweet time for me. I love football season and I also love to see it end. Not really end, I guess, but I look forward to some sort of normalcy in my home and crave it by October. I always joke that a definite positive of our two family situation is that I can assure my bigs are eating decent at least a couple nights each week! And Kyle eats at daycare so he is golden. There really isn't a reprieve since competitive will start in a couple weeks and basketball too. {hopefully} On top of that, Kyle plays indoor soccer...right about now. For all the struggles we endured this season, I am really going to miss my girls. I have to start thinking about my "speech" next week for the banquet. That is always a reason for nerves to kick into high gear.
I fell down the stairs a week ago. I've done that before. This time I did some damage. I didn't know it for about ten minutes. That was how long I stayed on the stairs. Once I tried coming up the stairs, I knew I had a problem. It's been a tough week. I haven't done anything except coach one day for practice and one for a game and go to church. The rest of the time I have spent being a total bump on a log. I don't like it. Tailbones take way too much time to heal. And I could be down for weeks to come. Ugh.
This past Saturday Kyle helped coach the powder puff football team. He was the offensive coordinator and did such a fine job. He made an entire notebook of plays to use based on a seven on seven game. Later he was told they would be playing eleven on eleven so some plays were used and he had to make up a couple more. Saturday, at the field, it was announced that they would be playing seven on seven. He was able to teach a couple more plays quick.
These girls were serious. Can you not hear the music playing while watching them walk out? It was a cold, windy and rainy day but they were all troopers.
This high school stuff is whack. lol. I love it. I'm making the very, very most of it. On the sixth, Caleb had his first semi-formal dance. A dance that was labeled "casual". I told him to remind the girls of that. I worked the front door and saw everyone come in. Did I even see one pair of jeans?? On a boy?? It was definitely a dress-up event.
A friend of Caleb's asked if he wanted to go as friends. We were at a concert at the time. He just looked at me. I said, "Well...say yes!!" He is such a boy. I don't think he would have on his own. I know he's glad he did. Four and a half couples met up at a friend's house for dinner. The missing party was at a tennis tourny that lasted pretty late. We took a gazillion pictures, {some of us were first-timers and some were not} both inside and out...and in front of the fireplace and up the stairs and from the balcony and pretending to pin flowers on and...you get the point. The the kids ate dinner {fabulous cooking, btw} and then we headed out to dance the night away. The beginning of many memories made. ☺
On the fourth, as I was getting ready to get off the bus at Hart, I checked FB real quick and saw an update that broke my heart. "Andrew Tallquist went from being in a relationship to single." My heart dropped. I was so sad for him. He was just going on and on, the day before, {and weeks prior to that}about how excited he was for next year's homecoming dance. I told him to enjoy eighth grade first. I had to call him right away. I think he's dillusional about the whole thing, but what do I know...I'm just a girl.
Speaking of dillusional, I was feeling a bit of that the Sunday before when I went to supervise freshman hall decorating. Or maybe I just thought they were dillusional. I had no real faith in them, which is horrible. I know the past speaks for itself and as a general rule, the newbies never quite get it right the first year. I was totally wrong. These were kids on a mission and they did a fabulous job! {too bad we are still working on singular vs. plural} They were even complimented on doing a better job than the prior year's class. I can see a real maturing happening here. These kids are going to get it really soon. It is about all pulling together to make these four years the best possible.
Fall birthdays are tough at our house with football season and all. It's a good thing the birthday happens to belong to Kyle and not Andrew! At least this way it is forgiven. Of course, because of the "conflict", even Andrew would accept it if we offered a weekend's worth of parties. That's what we did for Kyle. A friend sleepover Friday night, a friend and family party Saturday night and a family party Sunday! That, my friends, is my kind of birthday!
Kyle kind of shared a birthday with Duelly, a senior player, and he gave Kyle the coveted football rings from the cupcakes. Such a treasure.
For the second year in a row, Aunt Kristin has come through with the day-of-the-birthday-birthday-cake. Thank you, for being a birthday nazi! {how do you like the blowing out of the lighter? Whateves}
After our heartbreaking loss to Montague {I was proud of our boys, but Kyle had the worst birthday ever}I tried to console him and finally talked him into McDonald's! He told me his order, which did not include a drink, so I ordered one for him and headed home. Once eating, I asked if he was thirsty. Then I showed him the drink. I said, "Buddy, it's Coke. Do you remember me saying that you could have a Coke when you turn seven?" I may not have been able to change the score of the game but I was able to change the game.
Just a few more random pics...I went to a thing a few years ago and bought this family book of memories or something like that and anyway it had the idea in the book to take a picture of your child wearing the same adult outfit in the same place each year to show how they've grown. We've been doing this in one of Keith's old work shirts. Kyle is getting so tall!
One last picture of the birthday celebration. Dare I say it lasted more than a week? Sigh. How many guests of honor dress for the occasion by wearing football pants complete with pads? I think these are his party pants...he seems to always wear them when we are celebrating!
























No comments:
Post a Comment