Friday night I chaperoned the middle school dance. There was no blood shed or seizure episodes. It was pretty low key. Andrew planned to hit the concessions every time the deejay played a slow song...good plan but poor guy. Lucky for him his ex-girly wasn't there. Costumes were optional and Andrew chose to dress up.
Afterward, I took the boys to meet up with other friends at Pizza Hut. Luckily we were almost the only ones in there because the kids were definitely not using their inside voices. Andrew left for a sleepover and I left for bed.
I am reading my second Book Club book. Technically this is the first book I've read...that first one was terrible in my opinion...as in I just couldn't follow it and it could not keep my interest. I decided to try again since my seester already owned the book that was chosen this time. She never finished it because it was a slow read. She made it to page eighty three. I've been reading a few chapters before bed each night and two nights ago all bets were off! This book is wild! I cannot help reading it til I fall asleep each night..."whoda thunk?" is all I can come up with...I cannot wait to get to the end!
Saturday we decided it was time to take care of Andrew's shoe problem. I purchased a new pair of gym shoes last week for him and he didn't like the colors. Asics are my all time fave so I picked a pair for him because I knew he's a supinator...I don't even know if I'm using the word correctly but I know what I'm talking about {supination} and he has it...or is it...or does it. Asics offer good support for that but Andrew didn't like the color. We ended up at Dick's, with the same shoes I bought for Kyle the week before. I didn't push it because I didn't know how my teenager would feel wearing the same shoes as his little brother, but he was okay with it and so was I. From there, the bigs and Keith headed to G&L's drive-thru and to the cinema to watch Taken 2. I persuaded Kyle to let me take him to Texas Roadhouse for lunch. He wanted to sit at the bar at G&L so I told him we could sit at the bar and watch the football game. {even though he was grounded from tv all weekend} Surprisingly I had to work really hard to get him to go for it but he did and I was okay with myself for it since we cannot help it if tvs are all around while we are trying to eat! The truth is I should have sucked up the chili dog special {and sucked it down} but I really wanted a better meal option for us. Bad parenting at its finest...{or good parenting at its worst}
I've been thinking about getting rid of my dining room table because we never sit in there. We are always sitting at the island while eating and it just seems like such a waste. I never want to do something too drastic in my house {no, really} for when we sell, but last month I asked Keith if I promised to live there forever {never the plan}could I pretty please paint all the oak in my house? I know oak is nice and when my MIL reads this she may pass out {as will my FIL} but it really isn't my thing. K made me PROMISE to live there forever and then hesitantly said, "Yes, but I'm not painting it in the next two weeks or anything! We have other projects to do first!" I do love him tons. I wondered what I got myself into with vowing to stay at that house til the end but I think it will be worth it in the end...I think!
Going back to my dining room, we never use it...so I figure the room could be better utilized as something else...a mudroom maybe? I semi have my mind set on it but am not totally sold on the thought. My other half has no intention in the world of letting me make the change. I know many may think, "Really, Jodi?" But I can assure you it is a fabulous idea! I have a family of five with only four cubbies and a 4x6 area for our stuff. It is messy, dirty and not pretty. Imagine a 10x12 room with cubbies, hooks, baskets and fun for our bags, coats, umbrellas, galoshes and the like. I just want to say galoshes and I want a place to put my galoshes. Don't knock it til you try it...that room would make an amazing mudroom. Not to mention the actual space where the stuff currently resides would be a great location for dirty laundry, a counter for folding and extra shoe storage or whatever. Hang some doors in the area and ta-da! A marriage of beauty and functionality. Who could ask for more? Need further proof this is a grand idea?? Ok, well I searched and searched Houzz and Pinterest and I did not find what i was looking for but I still know it would be totally awesome!
Unfortunately, we used the table yesterday to play games at. Fortunately, it was because I was trying to humor my husband. ☺
Last night Andrew finished his Health project...his family tree. He also started a new weekly babysitting gig next door for the TenBrinkman's. I am so proud of his abilities and amazed by his mind. No typical run-of-the-mill tree for him. No sir...I do so love him!

I finally made it to Life Group last night. It used to be Tuesday evenings, which worked stellar considering Kyle had Awana at the same time and our group met right next door! This year I asked for a prayer from our pastor regarding the issue. It means so much to me to go every week and I miss it like crazy when I miss it {for coaching} but I was really considering giving it up. It is convenient for Kyle but totally inconvenient for the bigs. Other than every other weekend, {and Sunday evenings} the only two days I have them during the week are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Wednesdays they have junior high/high league and I don't lay eyes on one until eight pm and the other not until after nine thirty. To give up seeing them Tuesdays because of church was a struggle I wasn't dealing well with. Just when I thought I was done with it all, my peeps asked us all about changing the day of the week. I admit, I loved it at first, but then realized I was still giving up time. I decided it is still a better option in the long run. I missed the first night due to my tailbone injury and the second night I missed because Caleb needed help with a project.
I remember being told that life groups try to keep numbers to a minimum ands once those numbers are exceeded, people are encouraged to branch off and start their own groups. Last year our group had thirteen members and we were a cozy little family. I tried to hide our sign up sheet this fall at the open house so that others could not join us {lol} but it did not fly. We added, to my knowledge, six families and I am not sure who is in for the long term and who is just trying it out and if both members of each family are joining or just a member each. Either way, I am a little embarrassed to admit I was not looking forward to our reunion. There is a lot of discussion and sharing and leaps of faith that are taken at these get-togethers and to add an additional twelve people seems daunting, impersonal, uncomfortable and scary. Maybe those are not reasons to worry but for our hot topics of discussion, and where we veer off the path into uncharted territory sometimes, I really want to keep it simple and keep it real...
Last night was super fab. I felt uncomfortable, but in a comfortable way. I didn't speak last night. I had so many thoughts going through my mind. I teared up a few times. K shared a story. A story I've heard dozens of times over the years. A story about his brain tumor, the angel doctor and, of course, his mother angel. {that gets me every time} He has more courage, more faith in God, more respect for his parents, more love for his friends and family, and more optimism than anyone I've ever met. He is my angel...and I love him. ♥
Weekly, we have Action Steps we need to take for the following week. This week we have to think about what God is asking us to give up in order to follow Him. Whew! A big one! {they all are} I'm still praying about this one, not because I have nothing to give up or change, but maybe because I have too many choices! I think God is steering me in the right direction. How my brain operates, I want to go all in and give it all up at the same time! {it's no wonder I never finish a project or stay on a healthy path} I need to take baby steps to accomplish anything apparently. I'm learning.





No comments:
Post a Comment