Kyle planned to be Sponge Bob for Halloween. My only rule is the boys cannot be something they already were a previous year. {and we don't buy costumes...maybe just pieces to add to our costume box} I had a box ready to paint and then, last Saturday, he announced he wanted to be a "girl costume" for Halloween. He decided on a princess and we borrowed a TenBrinkman dress. I found a wig on clearance and we were basically good to go. This morning, after breakfast, he announced he wanted to be a pirate. Right away I snapped at Keith, assuming he talked him out of the other idea over breakfast. Saying Keith is less than thrilled over the idea of Kyle dressing up as a girl is a definite understatement!! Of course he snapped back that he was glad Kyle changed his mind but he didn't talk him out of being a princess. As we headed out the door, Kyle told me that dad talked him out of being a girl and that he didn't want to wear the wig because it makes his head itch and that dad said he has to be a boy next year! You are busted, Mr. Stratton! Lucky for us we have the handy dandy costume box to borrow from. It had all the fixings to be a pirate...except we couldn't find the eye patch. Oh well.
Last night was Caleb's football banquet. Truthfully, I don't really look forward to them. I always feel bad for my own cheer parents for showing up, just because they can be so boring and drawn out. I should have known, however, that listening to the Sandees speak would be anything but boring. I felt a smile on my face most of the evening. When they were describing their senior players before they even said their names, I was happy to know who they were describing...not because I know the kids personally but because it's how K would describe those boys to me at home. I expected K to totally lose it because he has over the course of the season but I only saw him tear up once. Otherwise, he wore his perma-grin the whole time. It actually looked like it should hurt, his smile was so big! He is so proud of the seniors {and juniors too} and is so sad to lose them!! I tried, but could not get any pics of him hugging the boys because the podium area was so crowded with coaches that one always happened to stand in front of my shot. ☺
Coach Sandee yanked on Caleb's hand {as he did to all the boys} so although he looks "special" it's just bad timing on my part.
I attempted this picture a few weeks ago but my phone wouldn't have it. Coach Hebb, after forty years coaching, is retiring. {second from left}
Coach Meinert, Caleb's head coach, was bustling around so I grabbed {new} Coach Sig{mon} for a photo op. Great guy. Fun guy. Glad he and his wife moved back to Michigan and both were hired by our district.
I felt like a total bubble burster {is that even a word??} telling the boys they didn't earn their jv letter yet. Something was miscommunicated. These boys were supposed to get their numerals...whatever. They just need to see Mrs. Blankstrom in the office.
Trick-or-treating is tonight. I didn't even realize til this past Sunday that Whitehall changed trick-or-treat time. Why? At any rate, being a Wednesday has put a little kink in plans. Andrew isn't going out with his friends because a few have confirmation. My guy is skipping out on youth group in favor of candy one last year. Caleb's friends are apparently heading out again but he prefers going to high league. {church} he hasn't gone out for this will be three years now. I told the boys eighth grade is it for taking candy...unless they are in full getup. No pillows in a sweatshirt or wigs with regular clothes. Some homeowners find it funny when high-schoolers barely dress up and go out but other homeowners have a fit over it. I prefer the kids to have fun but to not take advantage of people or the situation. For this, I will allow my boys to continue but only if they put the effort into their costumes. They are, after all, still kids. They should have fun.





No comments:
Post a Comment