9.17.2012

A New Chapter...

Firsts, Firsts, Firsts...lots and lots of firsts.  This year is my first season of coaching fall sideline cheer.  I have wanted this job forever.  It is mine now and I won't give it up!  It's a tough age to work with but for all the negatives to coaching teenage girls, they are still fun!  Luckily I went back to blond because I imagine by now I am growing gray hair from being a mom of now thirteen high schoolers instead of just one!

Speaking of high school, I registered Caleb for high school and it was pretty hassle free.  Except without fail we  needed to request a schedule change.  Caleb decided he didn't want to have to repeat Algebra since he took it in seventh grade!  It was an easy change and was taken care of the next day.  My first experiences with the high school have been no biggie.

Finally, at age fifteen, Caleb had his first ever boy/girl party.  He thought I went overboard hanging balloons in the garage {on string, super cute}but I thought he'd think I went overboard with the "Caleb" confetti.  Yes, it is childish.  Yes, I was still excited to find his name!!  No, I wasn't looking for it.
The party was a big hit. {I think}  It certainly gets easier with older kids.  Supply food, drinks and music and let them figure out their own entertainment.

While at the high school registration, I signed up to chaperone both the Homecoming dance and the Christmas dance.  Caleb was right there with me.  Another friend and her son came up and she offered to sign up and you would have thought she dropped her drawers to pee in the cafeteria...he was so embarrassed and so against it!  Poor mom.  I am so lucky.

This was also the first year I didn't have much to do with Andrew's registration.  He had leadership training so I took him to school, dropped off his packet in a mail bin, grabbed his locker assignment and was out the door.  So very robotic.

This was also the first time I didn't make it to school open houses.  They were scheduled on a Wednesday, which is not the norm, and we had a game.  I felt so bad for all my freshmen {all thirteen, remember?} who could not go and had no idea what to expect from high school.  Sigh.

Kyle is going to school all day this year.  Eleven round about years at Shoreline.  Whew.  I sound old.  Kyle's new teacher is new to the district and he was nervous to meet her.  Actually he was less than thrilled.  I was able to schedule a private meeting with her so that Kyle would feel confident going to school on his first day.  BINGO.

First graders get hot lunch.  Bonus.  Kyle is so picky.  I figured he would cross most hot lunches off the calendar and then I would be left with the daunting task of coming up with a suitable cold lunch for him.  And myself.  Surprisingly, he only crossed off six days all month.  Progress.

The varsity's Defensive Coordinator asked Keith if he would ask Caleb if he would be interested in being on the sidelines with him, writing down all the plays the coordinator calls so he can reference the list when breaking down film.  It is right up Caleb's alley but I wondered if he would turn it down so he could go to the games with his friends.  I should have known better.  He never hesitated.  He'll be a coach someday.  I'm sure of it.

I'm having my very first issue with the school.  I love our school.  I am thrilled that the boys have always been able to participate in advanced and accelerated classes.  Caleb's trip to the high school daily last year was a great experience.  Not so much this year for Andrew.  Last spring he received his schedule stating geometry first hour.  There was no teacher for the subject and no high school class planned for first hour. {tricky}  As of late August, same issue.  As of the first day of school, same issue.  I hope it gets resolved soon.

Lastly, or at least in my brain, is the first day of a new year in school.  Andrew was psyched to wear his cool new tie dyed tee, with his name on it.  He had to wear it the first day of school for WEB. {Where Everyone Belongs}  He was stoked his tee was much cooler than Caleb's eighth grade tee.


My brand new high schooler.  Where does the time go? {not a zit on his forehead, but an ulcer}  It doesn't make me sad that he's growing up so fast and maturing.  I am so proud of him.  I didn't cry at registration and I didn't cry taking him to the bus stop on the first day.  What has gotten me, what is getting me at any given moment, and what will get me for the next few years is people referencing high school and how fast time goes by.  Yeah, yeah...I get it.  I also get that I never really thought about what would happen when Caleb graduates.  Yes, I know he plans on college and always has, but I never really thought about what that would mean.  I've figured it out.  He will move away to another state to attend school and will probably love it there and stay forever.  Forever!  He'll come home for some holidays but will have to split his time between us and his bride's family.  I want to send a smoke signal out...Pat and Jen, you both are on notice...we will be spending holidays together!  SO who's cooking the Thanksgiving turkey?? ☺
Ah, this kid...all ready for first grade.  Except he is less than thrilled about getting three recesses.  Yes, I typed that correctly...he is bummed to have three recesses!  How many boys can you count who have ever said that?  He's just plain crazy.  I cannot figure it out.


No comments: