Kyle is quite a breed. I don't know most days where on earth he came from. Typically I say he's just like his dad simply because I never acted the way he does and neither did his brothers. {unless we're talking about the sarcasm gene...then maybe I know where he got it} As always, when he's funny...he's dang hilarious!! After a shower last month {i know, I know} he was in rare form and wondered what he had been watching on tv...{Thank God he didn't get THIS from his dad!}
Andrew finished tennis with a bang! I missed most of his matches this year, either because of other schedules or rain. I did, however make it to his tournament. Gorgeous weather!! He rocked it against the coaches son and only lost the match based on a bad call. A call that, by the head of the tournament's own definition, should have been made by Andrew but wasn't. Oh well. He did an amazing job and played great all day.
I cannot remember whether or not I previously mentioned that Andrew tried out for, and was offered, a part in the summer play The Nerd. I also do not know if I mentioned this but the playhouse manager sent him an invite to audition because she enjoys working with him and thought this would be a great part for him. Isn't that awesome? I believe quite a few tried out for the only child part in the play. I was overjoyed to receive the call that he got the part and immediately accepted on his behalf. {so formal} He had to submit a head shot and one hundred word bio for the program. It was a last minute thought so we didn't have anything to work with so we just snapped a pic early one morning before school. Imagine my total and utter shock when I received an email with a contract and W-9 attached for me to fill out, also on Andrew's behalf, to be filled out. I inquired about the W-9 form and was told Andrew will be paid for his role in the summer presentation like any other adult actor. UnFREAKINGbelieveable!!
Camping season came out of nowhere but really, not really. I've known for months that as soon as May hit I would need to get in gear and get the camper ready. All of a sudden it was May twentieth and we had to bust a move! Keith got the outside done and moved to the inside {cleaning} and it was my job to pack and fill...except that I didn't empty out the camper last year so all of the bedding also had to be washed. sigh. It's a lot of work for a very short time but, man, is it ever worth it. {if the weather is good to me} Kyle and I headed up Thursday and were alone til later Friday afternoon. Other than the gale-force winds screaming through the park, offering little more than ultra panic that we were going to tip over, we had a very enjoyable weekend. When the sun was out, it was hot and we had the best visitors ever. Superb time. Why did it have to end?
And that's all she wrote. A whopping two pictures of our weekend. Whatevs.
Fast forward to June. Yesterday was Kyle's kindergarten class picnic. We put together a fun pedicure gift for Mrs. Johnson and included a new book from her favorite author for a little guilty pleasure this summer. I cannot believe my last one is out of kindergarten. I hope he'll be ready for all day school next fall. I'm sure he will be. He's had lots of half day practice.
Before leaving the picnic, I asked Kyle to tell me who he'd like pictures with from his class so we can save them for his memory book. Before he even answered, a friend from another class was close by so I grabbed him and took a picture. Afterward, the only names offered were that of girls. Go figure.
Girlfriend number one is Jenna. She's his best friend. And girlfriend. Yesterday a parent informed me that her daughter informed her that Kyle and Jenna are getting married...when they are older. {thank goodness}
Girlfriend number two is Olivia. She was the girlfriend months ago but when kyle told me they broke up, I asked him what happened and he told me there was confusion. Alrighty then. Yesterday Olivia informed me, "Kyle really loves me." I mentioned this to her mom. She said she's heard all about Kyle. Great. But she didn't try to tackle me or punch me in the face so I think she's okay with it all. Besides, Olivia is a confident girl. She definitely wears the pants in this relationship. I have proof of it if needed...she slung her arm right around Kyle's shoulder...no questions. Later I merely mentioned Olivia's name and Kyle said to me, "I know...I have two." What else is there to say?So we are officially done with week one of driver's training. By officially I mean Caleb has had, as of Monday, ten hours of class instruction and two hours of driving experience with his instructor. Obviously the next step is a permit. A Permit? WHAT?? Yes, he informed me Monday that Tuesday night he would receive his pink slip and, oh yeah, could he drive home from class?
Oh. My. Goodness. Did this all just fly out of nowhere? Like when did this all happen? I really cannot believe the time is here but, really, it hasn't bothered me that he's old enough to take DT or that I'm old enough to have a son his age or that' he's heading to high school in the fall. What totally breaks my heart is that, in four short years, he will leave my home for most likely another state and maybe meet someone at school and make a life for himself very far away...from me. I take for granted that my babies are with me and having spent the last ten years only having them half of the time has been the "norm" for us. My family is close by. My parents are a seven minute drive from me and my sister lives not door for crying out loud. In a few short years I believe both of my oldest children will move far away and that, my friends, is an unbearable truth. I do not know how to handle that truth. Yeah, yeah...don't think of the future. Live in the present. Make the most of the time I have with them. Blah, blah, blah...does that really fix my heartache? Knowing they will undoubtedly succeed and have amazing futures I have peace.
But in the meantime...my kid is driving!! I was actually a wreck! he wanted to drive home but in the meantime Keith went to a conference dinner and I learned I had to pick up Kyle. In Montague. {hello} I let him drive me all the way there and back home. I needed a drink. Heck, I think HE could have used a drink! He was so tense and it didn't help that the back seat driver was telling him what to do {he's SIX} and so was I. He did pretty well. My real concern is the stop sign situation. He stops...like a quarter mile back...at the actual sign like he's supposed to. Then he creeps forward like he's supposed to. Then he heads through the intersection. Every time. Without stopping again...Not like he's supposed to!!!! He said he stopped. He didn't. He said he looked...without turning his head. {his words} He didn't. Whew. I will try to be calm. He will stop two times, three if needed, at stop signs. All will be good. This is all out of my hands. That is the hardest part to swallow. I may be slightly control-freakish but these are my kids...I'll just have to pray harder. And longer. And louder.












1 comment:
No freakin' way!!!! Oh, my goodness!
Post a Comment