If I blog any slower I may have to give this business up. I thought I was doing myself a favor a few weeks ago by saving some pics to blog at home...never happened.
Caleb took Geometry at the high school this past year and they were on trimesters so he took two and was finished. His last part of the year was spent doing independent study in Spanish. Somewhere along the line he started helping in class a little and was surprised with this toward the end of the year. What a sweet gesture.
Auntie Kristin called me at work on Kyle's last day of school to tell me to make sure I stop at my mailbox after work because there was something in there for Kyle. I didn't think much of it at the time, figuring one of the kids made him something or he was being invited to something. We were both surprised to find this...{and I clearly did NOT win Mother-Of-The-Year this year because the thought never crossed my mind}
Not too sure about this...it is what it is I guess...
We spent the weekend after school got out in Boyne with Keith's family. The weather was great. The boys golfed and the girls {plus Uncle Matt and Kyle} went shopping. We played games, went kayaking and ate plenty.
I have been flying under the radar in the past weeks because summer has proven to be a busy time. Go figure. The last day of school was a Friday and Monday tennis, football lifting and basketball open gym all started right up. On top of that the golf outing, Work Camp and Caleb's summer camp culminated this past week and weekend. I didn't pay close attention to the calendar when I planned everything. I can say that, as of today, I am tired, sore and glad it's all in the past!
Work Camp is something a lady from church came up with years ago for members of the congregation to partake in for the good of the community. Every year three or four homes or businesses are chosen to work on. This year the bigs and I signed up and were put at Pekadills to scrape and paint. Words cannot even begin to describe how I felt being part of such an amazing ministry. It was great to be doing something so wonderful for someone else. We were rewarded daily with awesome lunches and part of me felt guilty because workers at the other sites had to provide their own lunches. I didn't pick my spot...I swear. The boys were asked to paint a fence at another location first but ended their week at the restaurant as well. Andrew had so much fun his first day that he asked if he could do it again the next day, even though we weren't signed up again for another day. The slide show of the past week was shown at church yesterday and, of course, I couldn't stop the tears from making their way down my cheeks. I am blessed. I not only got to work along side my children while we spread God's love together in a practical way, but I also got to pray about it in front of others. {can you say OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE??}
Saturday the golf outing went off without a hitch. We had beautiful weather, happy campers and the most amazing volunteers to help make this the best outing yet! I cannot remember if we made more money one of the prior years but we ended up with eight less teams than last year because we had to change the outing date and we had a killer total to donate to the football program! Again, I am truly blessed to know such amazing people who care so much about others.
Probably some of the best people on earth you can ever meet are the Rake's families. The Rakes and the Bonners are the neatest people ever and are willing to do anything and are the biggest supporters of their children and grandchildren. {and nephews and siblings} It was a true family affair Saturday with not only both sets of {grand}parents there but also aunts and uncles to boot. THANK YOU, fabulous people!!!! {and, of course, my rakes...Don and Kris...without whom we'd have no outing to speak of}
Our awesome football coach is also an awesome wrestling coach and has brought his brother in this year to co-coach. The new Coach Sandee is using the motto "Swing Your Sword" after reading a book by the same name. We are now owners of the book and hope this will leave a lasting impression on us and our family and our community.Ryan VanBergen, former Whitehall graduate, former U of M player and graduate and current member of the NFL team the Carolina Panthers, graced us with his presence at the outing. He golfed with family to support our football program, then stayed after to sign his autograph and pose for pics. The boys were so excited to hold his actual Michigan helmet. I think they were both too scared to try it on.
Team Stratton...I heard they placed second to last. Bummer. My dad was one off from winning closest to the pin. Lucky for him he still won the Whitehall Football hat in our door prize drawing. last year my father-in-law won the football coaches shirt, which he wore this year. {I think we need to do something about getting my dad one so he doesn't look out of place next year}
I got choked up a couple of times throughout the day simply by catching a glance of my son. He was sporting a varsity jersey and helped the senior players caddy. I cannot believe this little baby of mine will be fifteen in one month minus one day. Where, oh where, does the time go?
I have a friend who seems to be amazing at everything she does and she surely didn't disappoint this time. She made all our golfers these fabulous cookies. And they were super yummy.
Generations of Vikings. I Love to see this. Both were volunteers. Both are appreciated.
I was in charge of the tables. It's no surprise to anyone that I finished the decor at midnight Friday night. What was a surprise, even to me, was that I had no time, with Work camp, to even brainstorm or shop for supplies until Friday evening. I was a little stressed. It's nothing a new pair of sandals couldn't fix. Even if it was temporary. And polka dot balloons. Polka dots fix everything.
Chef Bonner. He likes to be called this. Or maybe it's just me who likes to call him that. Either way, he did an awesome job grilling our burgers. They were magnificent. Just what I needed after a long day in the sun with sugar cookies and Coke Zero. {haha, doesn't he look like Jerry VanDyke, aka Luther, from Coach??
Another fabulous Bonner volunteer! Connie rocked the 50/50 raffle. {she rocks at everything she does}
There are no words...not only do parents trust this man with their kids on the football field but they also trust him with their third graders...he totally looks like a third grade teacher, doesn't he?
Coach Sandee. And Coach Sandee. Coach Sandee and the other Coach Sandee. The other white meat. Big Sandee and Little Sandee. It doesn't matter what you call them...I'll call them two winners at Whitehall. Our kids are going to be so blessed having this force behind them!!
I think I mentioned the Ryan VanBergen attraction earlier. What a sport. My guy was just a wee bit excited to take his picture with a great ball player...a true hero to our kids. He's kind of big.
And, of course, some of my other guys were also giddy about being in a photo with this future football giant. My dad will be thrilled to know his eyes were closed! Keith even won a signed Panthers hat. And did you get a load of that ring? It is ginormous!! GI-normous!!
Eight o'clock came none too soon. We had an amazing day but we were all beat. I only unloaded freezer food. The rest stayed til Sunday. Keith challenged me to a Solitaire war and then I cozied up and fell asleep on the couch. Sunday morning I woke up feeling a good ten years older. Every single muscle on my body ached...and I wasn't even wearing heels!
After church we came home and packed Caleb up for camp. It was yet another thing on my to-do list that got done last second. One thing at a time. It was my motto for the week. I cleaned out the van, packed it back up and took my baby to camp. His first high school camp. Sigh. I'm so thankful he isn't embarrassed by me and loves me tons. We hung out together, waiting to register, and then I helped him with his stuff to his cabin. Out of nowhere, It hit me and I stopped in my tracks...looking around, I seemed to be the only mom taking her son to high school camp. It was funny. I asked the counselors if I was the only one. They all laughed and one said that other moms drove their kids to camp. I said I know but wondered if any of them walked their kids to their actual cabins and made their beds and set up their fans? I shyly tried to hide my camera and then sighed with relief knowing it didn't even matter to Caleb. He knows it is how I am and he loves me anyway. ☺The drive up wasn't nearly as long feeling as last year when I took both boys up at the same time. {Thank God} The drive home was still quiet. And sadish. But I know that it's one of the best places in the world and he has been looking forward to it for so long. I know he's having the best time ever, hanging with the big dogs. {but I cannot wait to have him home again...dorky hat and all}































1 comment:
Well I just finally got the time to peruse online and thought... "you know I have not been on Jodi's blog in foreverrrr" So needless to say, here I am and am speechless!! The golf outing was amazing!! Your pictures are fantastic! We had so much help, donations and wonderful golfers. Don & I went home that night and we talked about everything. How very lucky we felt to have a majority of our families there. Plus how us 3 (you, Don and myself) have always worked so good together. We just gel so well. All in all it turned out to be a great day! I also am very thankful for Bill Borgman. He always seems to keep me grounded. Which I so need.
I can't believe that June is almost done. Hopefully that means life slows down just a bit for you. Hope Caleb had fun at camp! Happy 4th of July this week!
Post a Comment