9.01.2011

Outted...

I think I last left off with having painted a coat or so of paint in the kitchen and Kyle punishing Keith by having to finish the job.  Hold the phone!!!  I never divulged what project number two was in my last post!  Okay, so since it's been a week and it's old news and I've already moved on, I'll try to be brief.  Anyone who knows me knows,without a doubt, that the absolute last color on earth I would choose to paint any room in my house is white.   It's a personal choice only.  However, after scouring every paint chip available in the area and every home magazine I could find and even scoping out every fabric and painted piece of furniture I came across, I could not find the perfect shade of blue I was harboring in my mind.  Dang.  I bought white paint.  I dreaded it.  I put on a first coat and part of a second.  Keith finished the rest of the two coats as punishment and I stared at it and stared at it...it totally looked like primer on my walls.

I painted the ugly five dollar find from Goodwill a fun aqua for my living room to act as a coffee table, replacing the round one I cannot seem to cut apart.  The aqua was a bit much but I liked it and just needed to tone it down.  Enter my seester.  She offered me a gallon of paint she used in her laundry room.  I just needed enough for the table.  One coat and I was sold.  It still needs another but I'm happy to have made the switch.

Keith also liked the switch.  He doesn't have my vision so questions my thoughts a lot or rolls his eyes or bites his tongue, but it always works out in the end and he is almost always pleased.  The table bothered him.  It was originally too bright.  He, too, liked the new toned down color and then we both decided to go for it and repaint the kitchen.  Again.  He said he lived with white walls once and didn't want to again.  I typically don't listen to his decorating advice, but this time it was all I needed to move forward.  I hope I don't live to regret it.

We've run into many snags while working on this project.  We found a little water damage and have now made a mess out of our beautiful kitchen ceiling.  Project number one has also been slightly ruined altered and has to be fixed.  The tile grout screams to me, "Jodi, please change my color...I am you-gly!  I only wanted to paint for now to change the kitchen a bit.  Now the grout and back splash have to be addressed.  Not to mention the goodies I posted last week and the turquoise paint...not quite the same affect without the white walls.

I know, I know...lots of words with no pictures to back any of it up.  It's called unfinished business. {go figure}  Weekends are our only way to go and last weekend, K was called into work at three thirteen a.m. and when he got home he slept til two so he had other things to take care of when he got up.  This weekend, however, he has a hot date with a sweet little number named Behr paint. {honestly, I get bored with painting rather quickly, but I will also be painting once he finishes up.  Don't feel bad for him. ☺

The last of the branches has fallen.  Good news.  More wood for winter burning.

Caleb completed training this week to be a student mentor for the kids coming into the middle school this year.  They all had a fun day today with the sixth graders at orientation.  Tuesday, the first day of school, the student mentors {maybe twenty eight or so eighth graders} will meet with their groups of students and will pretty much guide them to class and hang out with them pretty much all day.  The set-up is so different this year.  It sounds pretty fun.  Schedules are still being changed, and students are supposed to get their final schedules the first day of school.  It seems like there will be an assembly for everyone and different groups are coming in to do fun things with team building and such.  What a great way to boost morale for those new kids.

Andrew will be getting a new schedule as well.  This will be his third.  I have no idea how the administration does what they do.  WOW!  I'm happy that schedules keep changing due to hiring more staff.  Happy, Happy.  He is very excited about taking choir.  He has waited so patiently to be old enough to take the class.  He's pretty easy to please.  He totally looked forward to the open house for days.  It's all he talked about for days.  And it was just an open house.  Funny.  Andrew cannot already wait to be a mentor...and he has another year to go!  I love his energy. ♥

Kyle has been doing his summer homework.  All summer he shuddered at the mention of schoolwork but out of the blue he started whipping right through all of it.  Is he ready for kindergarten?  He's ready for his new favorite teacher but the rest he can do without.  Oh, wait...he is also excited to ride the bus.  The bus was not part of my plan but he really wants to try it.  We've always done morning kindergarten.  My route and my daycare's route have always been a.m. routes.  The kids have only ever ridden the noon bus with other kindergartners and then always had a ride home so they didn't have to ride with all the big kids.  This year my daycare route changed to p.m.  I'm less than thrilled for many reasons but there isn't anything I can really do about it so we'll survive.  At any rate, Kyle wants to ride the afternoon big kid bus.  And I might let him.

I cannot believe summer is coming to an end.  We have one good weekend left.  As sad as that makes me, there will be plenty of fun ahead in the coming weeks and months.  Football. Jeans. Sweaters. Bonfires. Leaves. Cookouts. Get-togethers. {and so much more}

Is there anything more adorable than having this vision show up at your door?  No special occasion.  Just lookin' that good for a nice bike ride.  My heart melts every day for Isaac TenBrink. ♥

No comments: