12.04.2010

December 4th...

I like tradition.  And traditional.  And classic.  Christmas cards {we've been over this}.  Christmas carols. {the ones you can sing along to.}   Board games. {the oldies. nothing newfangled}  Meals. {Thanksgiving. Christmas. Everyday stuff...meat, veggie, starch.  nothing Richard Simmons or funked up}  Cookies recipes.

I realized this noon that I needed 2 dozen cookies for the Christmas church program tonight.  Sigh.  Planned to make snickerdoodles but instead found an embellished version.  Since I adore embellishments and I always have these extra ingredients on hand, I wondered why not?  Instead of hardening in the fridge, the dough stayed rather sticky.  The cookies turned out fat and light.  Must've been the cream cheese.  And they were a tad festive.  Dried cranberries.


I look forward to today every year.  The first Saturday in December.  The day the old newsies are standing at stop signs, stop lights and street corners to hand over a special edition of the Chronicle for a donation, smiling warmly and wishing everyone a very merry Christmas.  I wonder if my tears start before I ever even drive away.  All I have to read is the annual "Let No Child Be Forgotten" title and I turn to jello.  Every. Single. Time.  Tradition.  I want to be a newsie.  Most are old carriers.  Some have been the children who have received gifts thanks to the Goodfellows.  In Muskegon County, one man has been volunteering since 1950.  Another since '54, two since '56, three since '57 and one since '59.  In Oceana County,one man has been volunteering since 1946, three since '47, one since '48, and one since '49.  These men are all truly amazing human beings.  I just know it. {David Archuleta sings a good Joy To The World, in case you're wondering.}  I cannot even imagine the sense of worth these people feel for doing such a thing.  WOW.

We've been back from the church program for awhile now.  Kyle definitely had a moment.  He didn't know any of the songs, acted pretty foolish and ended the evening holding his belly, sad faced, with his head hung low.  He has a belly ache.  I hope it isn't something more serious.  Lordy be.  At first I thought he was cute, the I was super annoyed and then I just felt bad for him.  Thankfully, the next program is a whole year away!!




Good night.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You are out of control, newsie!!!

Kyle is too cute, love him!