Last night Kristin had some friends over to my house so I left the boys a note to clean up the weeds in the bark. Caleb must've called me 6 times at work to verify instructions. The instructions were clear. Take an empty garbage bag outside. pull all the weeds in the bark along the sidewalk. Put the bag in the garage when finished. Caleb called to ask which bark. In front of the sidewalk. Caleb called to ask if he needed to pull the really big weeds. Yes, they are all still weeds. Caleb called to ask what garbage bag to use. A new one. Caleb called to complain about the job. I told him there was 20 bucks in it for both him and Andrew. Not just fr pulling weeds, but for the extra chores they helped me with and for Kyle-sitting on Saturday. {we don't use the B word with Kyle. It's better this way}
I pulled into the drive minutes before Kristin's guests. She was waiting for me in her car because Keith locked all the doors and I needed gasoline in the worst way. I parked my car and was immediately irate. None of the weeds had been removed!! I was beyond furious. For some reason, in my madness, I walked around to the side of the garage where I noticed a peculiar sight. All of my lilies were gone. All who know me well know I have brown thumbs. I cannot keep anything alive. Oh, I have planted two things that are still living, but it's simply because they both must not need food or water to survive. Anyway, I didn't plant the lilies so I have no emotional attachment to them, but I've grown fond of them because they, too, do not need much to survive. And they cover my ugly air conditioner unit.
Kristin said the deer most likely ate them. The theory is good, but in five years no deer have ever touched them. The babies bloom, die, bloom, die and bloom again!! Kristin didn't believe for one second that anything else happened to them. Must've been the deer.
The boys all got home from practice. I asked Caleb why he didn't clean up the weeds. When he responded that he did, I knew...I knew no deer had eaten my flowers! He said he had a tough time pulling the big ones out of the ground so he left them there. Made sense I guess. Caleb felt horrible. I told him it was okay. I cannot stand to see him cry. I did, however, mention that the 20 bucks had dwindled. The best part is that although he pulled the flowers, he left the actual weeds. I asked Andrew about it and he said, "I told Caleb but he said those weren't weeds." Hmm. Funny.This morning, Caleb went out golfing with some buddies of his. With no adult supervision. My lovely friend, Kirsten, dropped 4 boys off with a cell phone to enjoy a round of golf. Caleb was stoked.
In case you are wondering, Caleb had a blast. He didn't do too crazy well, 67 for 7 holes, but had no worries. Funny. Also in case you are wondering, the boys skipped holes 7 and 8 because of time. Again, funny.
Ah, so big, so big. Where does the time go? My boys are getting so big and there is nothing I can do to slow down time. I just have to remember to step back and take it all in and enjoy Every. Single. Blessed. Second. Do me a favor and do the same.



2 comments:
I am still not buying this story. And you handled it WAY BETTER AND CALMER than I could have imagined doing!!! Good job!!!
I thought the same thing when I saw Caleb yesterday afternoon... so grown and so handsome!
Post a Comment