6.22.2009

E.Vent.Ful. Weekend...

How do we survive?

Friday morning Andrew had a doctor's appointment in GR at 9am. No problem. Kristin took Kyle to daycare and we made it with time to spare. There was a detour on College, the road I needed to exit on but I followed the detour route to Fuller, took a deep breath and found my way. I am not a fan of detours. I am not a fan of driving in GR. I am not a fan of getting lost. I panic. Weh-ell, let me tell you, I got lost. Longest story short-as-I-can-tell, {I am long winded, you know} I took the only exit I could and never saw a way to get back to US31. I called Keith but he was in a meeting and I called Pat, since he did a lot of driving last year back and forth to Devos, but I still got lost. I guess lost isn't totally correct. I knew I'd eventually end up in Holland but who wants that? Pat thought I'd see a sign for Muskegon, but, after the fact, he thought I should have taken Cadillac. Another story, but I never take the Cadillac exit anywhere! I just did what I do when I panic...I cried. It didn't help that as I was heading SW on the highway with nowhere to get off, Andrew kept pointing and saying, Mom, the weather ball is over theeeee-rrrrre!" Thanks, son. As I headed toward Hudsonville and Zeeland, {what the??} I noticed that my gas gauge needle was on E. I was too scared to get off the highway. Eventually I saw a gas station, drove a bit further to get back around to it, and asked for directions. I told the nice lady that I took a detour, got lost and needed directions. She asked where I was heading and I whined, "My hoooo-me." Okay, she didn't know where that was. I was about 4 miles from downtown Holland by that time and that is where I headed to get back on my highway.

So, needless to say, I didn't make it back to work. I also didn't do anything I wanted to do. We just went home. Later that night, Kyle and I met up with the TenBrinkman mom and kids for a trip to Lowes. Ahhh...painter's tape and spray paint. All was good. Keith bought a new trailer, {happy Father's Day} Kyle got ice cream, we grabbed pops and a movie and headed home.

After the start of Chelsey Handler, K and I went to bed. One hour and minutes {I can count on one hand} later, the phone rang. Keith was being called in on a shaken baby homicide. {1:18am} I missed a call from him at 9:30 and talked to him around 12:30. He ended up being assigned to a murder case. That was that. The end of our day together. K's nephew's open house was that afternoon. His family on both sides were all there. He never would have missed that. But he did. Kyle and I spent 3 hours at the Bergman's. What a great day for a party. What a great party.

We left to take Kyle to my parents to spend the night. I headed [solo} to a fabulous party. Friends were having a dual celebration. Don turned 40 and Mike got his degree. I thought that I was going to just stay for a bit because I was alone. Let me tell you, I was almost home when Keith called me telling me he was home. The time on my clock was 2:42am. And I knew I had to get up early because of nursery duty at 8am. I popped 3 ibuprofen to be good to go. Oh my gosh, I had Thee. Best. Time. Ladies, and you know who you are, thanks sooo much! I laughed so hard. Connie, if you get on here again, I am sorry for almost dropping you from my shoulders. I am convinced that would not have happened if your butt had actually been on my shoulders. I think I ended up with the backs of your knees on my shoulders instead. Have faith...next time it'll work out. Pinky swear. ;)
Kirt, just a reminder to always empty the Grey goose bottle...
CFM shoes...even Don's mom wants in on the action...
Not sure that Mike was the intended receiver of this, but he did end up on the other side of the door. Must have been the shoes...
I got about 4 hours of sleep and when I woke up I wanted more ibuprofen so bad but not enough time had passed since I took the last ones. I headed to church. I grabbed a bulletin to read while sitting in the nursery. Whaaat? My name wasn't even listed. I was there for no reason??God was watching. He made sure I made it to church one way or another. Good for you, God. My calendar shows I have the duty next month. Ugh.

As I was driving home from church I got a call from K. He was already heading back to work. Yikes. Darn those bad guys. K missed our entire Father's Day trip to Michigan's Adventure. We missed you tons, Keith. We did have a good time though. The crazy little ones all wanted to ride the Sea Dragon. I thought Kyle would get sick. After the initial shaking, Uncle Jimmy held Kyle tight and from then on out, Kyle thought it was the best. {Kyle was shaking. Uncle Jimmy wasn't shaking Kyle} Grandpa and Grandma rode Zach's Zoomer with the twins. Over. And. Over.


Boy, it was certainly one hot day. Kyle fell asleep as soon as I turned the van on to go home. Keith was home right before us. We were all pooped. I fell asleep watching TV with Caleb. Thinking about it, he must have went to bed on his own because K woke me up to tell me to go to bed and I don't remember seeing Caleb. Hmm. Going back, we got my dad an ipod. He was super excited. The boys and I chipped in for Keith's trailer. Kyle made daddy a key chain packaged in this super cute card...Tami is good. Caleb and Andrew made one for Pat, too, while at Tami's for a baseball game.



This morning, K left us for 4 days. He has a homicide school in Lansing. He'll be working with evidence. Doesn't that sound interesting? He'll be home Thursday but we won't see him because he has a shift to work at Summer Cel. Ooh, ooh...it's summer time.
Also this morning, I dropped the boys off at VBS. Last week I got a call from the leader asking if Caleb would want to be a small group leader. He said, "Of course!" It dawned on me that he has to be getting too old to be in VBS but I wasn't sure about the cut-off. Ah ha...the cut-off. Today they are walking to Jen's mom's house after school {I swear I already typed that somewhere this morning} so I asked how to do the sign out process at church. Another Ah ha moment...I was told that since he is in junior high, Caleb doesn't need to be signed out so the boys would be good to go. I just stood there, dumbfounded. Not at the answer, just hearing the answer. My baby is getting so, so big.
**Not too big after all...Kristin just called. She offered the boys a ride to the Erdman's because of the heat and Caleb initially refused because he didn't think Carol would be happy with him for "getting a ride to her house from a perfect stranger." Hmm. Kristin had to convince Caleb that Carol knows who she is and that it is perfectly fine for Caleb's aunt to give him a ride. Anywhere. Silly kid. He's just trying to look out for everyone.

1 comment:

jennie said...

The card is priceless. What a great daycare you have there:)

Lovin all the pics.
What rides do you actually go on? I shouldnt talk, I am the same way!

And I guess I should thank you for getting Steve Miller Band stuck in my head for the entire week. I sound like a magician...