6.23.2009

Define Perfect...

Ahh...the perfect day off. Today was a scorcher and I knew it beforehand so I figured we'd do something fun, the boys and I. MA seemed a logical choice, but there was no breeze this morning {yuck}so I didn't think the water park was the best choice and I've been hankering for some new shoes, so what an opportunity. I figured the stores all had to be cool, much cooler than the water park, so after VBS, we headed to Muskegon. To be fair, I must mention that it wasn't planned to be a spectacular day just for myself. There was definitely something in it for the boys. Mini golf and ice cream. I just wanted to wait til evening, in case it cooled down.

First stop...no luck. The selection wasn't spine tingling but Kyle was decent. Second stop...no good. After many try-ons and countless chases through the store, I had almost enough. We crossed over to the mall. Wrong choice. I cannot say for sure how much bribing I did, how much threatening I did, but none of it mattered. I sooo kept my cool but when I finally had enough, it was too late. I nicely and politely rushed out of the store and out of the mall, my eyes swelling up all the way. Kyle made such a scene, shouting,"You're MEAN" while EVERYONE stared. Once I hit the hot air, I lost it. I couldn't control the tears. I was done. Done, done, done. There was no way I was taking him golfing. On the other hand, I had two boys who sat in the truck very, very quiet, probably wondering why they were being punished because of Kyle. He just kept screaming, telling me first that he can't be good because it's too hard, then telling me he will be good for sure. I just kept crying and shaking my head no. He then started complaining of his head hurting and screaming some more. I explained that it probably hurt because he was crying so hard and screaming so loud. He just kept screaming.

He finally fell asleep. I thought a minute and then asked the boys if they still wanted to golf. I drove back to Montague and took them to the little place in town. I stayed in the truck {in the cool air} with Kyle. Once the boys were finished, I woke him up and we went for ice cream. The big boys had some fun and the other one was none the wiser. He knows he missed out because he thinks nobody was able to golf. I want to tell him the boys actually got to, but I cannot deal with what will come of it. My head hurts. I'm exhausted. And I have no shoes.

Not quite a perfect day off.

2 comments:

jennie said...

Next time drop him off here. Seriously.
I am always here, at home. In Muskegon.
Never shop with people under the age of 8.
Never.

Jodi said...

Jennie, you are too kind. Next time, though, he will stay at his own home. With his dad. ;)