I cannot believe that I forgot to tell everyone that Andrew scored a goal at his game last Monday night! A teammate kicked the ball across the goal and Andrew was there and well...he kicked it in! It doesn't really matter how it happened, especially for Andrew. The fact that it happened was good enough for him to play a little more aggressive the rest of the game. Good job, Andrew.
A funny bit of nothingness...as I typed out aggressive above, I couldn't help but cheer it a little as I went. You know.. (b-e)...a-g-g-r-e-s-s-i-v-e...silly Jodi.
I also never mentioned the boys' parent/teacher conferences. I never really talk about them except when asked. Fortunately for me, their reports have always been phenomenal. It is pretty much the norm. We are super lucky (all of us) to have Mary Gallihugh and Ron Bailey teaching Caleb and Andrew this year. Andrew doesn't have Mary, but he has Ron for math and they have made this school year totally rock for us!! I enjoyed talking with Mary about Caleb. She is so real and down to earth. I have known her for like 16 years and what you see is what you get. Awesome. Anyway, as soon as I walked into her classroom, she handed me a packet. Oh no. It was Caleb's Square One Art magnet. Every year the students draw a picture that gets put on a magnet to take home to their families. From that, you can order magnets, coasters, aprons, etc. I'm sure you all know Caleb's strong suit is NOT art. I looked at the magnet of...a bat? and laughed sooo hard. I made some comment about Caleb not being great in every subject. Mary agreed.
Andrew showed me his Square One this morning. I looked at it and laughed so hard. Andrew's drawing takes up the whole magnet and is very detailed and colorful. It is NOTHING like Caleb's. Caleb's colors are more bold, which is nice, but still...I showed Keith and he couldn't talk to ask a question he was laughing so hard. He thought it looked like a blind acorn puking up orange juice. Nice. I think I mentioned a bat, with some extra extremities. Caleb informed us it was a squirrel wearing glasses and braces...
Andrew is always so detail-oriented. I love it. The first year we did this, Caleb was offered the magnet drawing but Andrew wasn't and I thought it was an Ealy thing. I contacted Square One and asked about sending in artwork for Andrew. No problem, I just needed to turn it into the art teacher. Andrew drew an elaborate Christmas scene with Santa and the reindeer...and Andrew. I should've posted a peek. This is the one I saw this morning...
Other than Andrew's Christmas drawing on his own, the other magnets have always been pretty generic. There has always been a theme. I wondered why and asked the boys why they aren't allowed creative freedom when designing their work. Andrew said that 4th graders could make whatever kind of imaginary bird they wanted to. Here's the best part...Caleb said his class was given freedom. Those kids were able to draw anything they wanted as long as it was school appropriate. Of all the things in this world...a squirrel wearing glasses and braces...I love it!
2 comments:
Caleb has some great color concepts! They are both talented, but very different.
For the record, I ALWAYS cheer a-w-e-s-o-m-e, like totally.
I love those boys. I still think Caleb's is very good...I like the border!!
Also, I cheered while reading, and I too spell out s-u-c-c-e-s-s...tough word made easy thanks to cheerleading!!!!
Post a Comment