A fitting title for what I am about to write. I was on Jen's blog this morning, catching up, and when I got down to her "3 year itch" entry, I knew it was about to go downhill fast. I know that feeling of wanting to change things up a bit. When you stay home, looking at the same four walls (x each room) all day long, day in and day out, it only means trouble. I, for one, am excited for Jen. I love change. You know, this should be another blog post, because I really don't like change. I have found this out through a few years of self discovery. Change is good, however, and I am especially up for it when it comes to my home. Or Jen's home. Or your home. :) (I've got your back, ladies) I say "good luck" because I know that once you start, there is no going back! Maybe I should say, "Good luck, Pat!" I am super excited for Jen because I gave her credit for putting all that woodsy stuff in to begin with. Nothing AT ALL against it, I just tend to think of the home as the woman's home. Boys can have the garage. :) For the record, I know Jen likes it and that is why it is there-it's not just because of Pat. (had to throw that in) Guys complain about all the painting, moving of furniture and all the fuss, but at the end of the day, a guy doesn't care if he's sitting on a keg on the dirt floor in the shed as long as he has a beer, remote, TV and foot stool. We take pride in our home so the boy never really has anything to complain about. And they know it. When all is said and done, everyone is happy. That's just me.
Both of Caleb's bedrooms were white with a navy accent wall. Funny. Since then, Pat and Jen moved the boys downstairs and I moved Andrew into Caleb's room. They have a room too big for just one of them an I needed a spot for Kyle. Anyhow, the boy's room is boring to me. I need to take down the solar system and I have been playing with the idea of covering the navy paint with black chalkboard paint. I loved it in my old house and how cool would it be to have a really big, tall wall all for drawing on...like maybe football plays, perhaps?? I hired a painter for out house originally because first of all I don't paint and second of all because we have too many tall walls and peaks. I really don't want to hire someone right now, so I am dragging my feet. I think the problem is that the room is so big and so white (on the other 3 walls) that it all just looks drab. We have what were two navy blue loft beds and cut one down for Caleb (isn't a fan of heights, except, apparently, for roller coasters) to come out under Andrew's like bunks, a navy blue double desk (all courtesy of my wonderfully talented father-in-law) and lots of fun vinyl lettering on the walls. Still. It all goes back to the expanse of white in the room. Blah.
I just realized I started this about Jen and made it about me. At least that's what you all would think. In reality, I was just setting the tone by agreeing to needing a change and then blogging about my own plans.
My other project going on right now is Kyle's room. I know the work wasn't done all that long ago but, you know, it still needs to change. The wall color is original to us. Most everything was repainted when we moved in. This was originally Andrew's room. The wall color isn't exactly lime green, but as Kristin says, it is the "trendy green that goes with bright blue." Nicely put. When the room was handed over to Kyle (or some time thereafter) I painted random rectangles in coordinating colors on the focal wall. Actually, the wall next to the focal wall because the focal wall is full of windows. The colors were light blues and lighter, lime-y greens and white. While camping this summer, I bought a magazine and was inspired by new, bright colors that just happen to coordinate with the "trendy green" in the room. The colors are much more bold, much more Kyle. I found and purchased new bedding and set out to find fun accessories to match. I decided to repaint the rectangles in the new, fun colors. That way the work wouldn't be too much to bear. Weh-hell,let me tell you, I hit the jackpot. As it turns out, I already loved these new colors because I had gallons or quarts of EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Woot!!
The change, so far, is fun. I have another coat of navy to put on and I have to decided on color placement for two other rectangles, but then the painting is done. I wasn't sure if it was going to be as fabulous as I anticipated so I did what Kristin said to do. I put the new quilt on the bed and everything popped! The colors on the quilt made everything come together and I am tickled pink!! I will be able to show B & F's next week. I planned to post the "before's" awhile ago, but didn't want to leave you all hangin' too long in case you pay attention. I say that because Jen reminded me awhile ago that I blogged about my new artwork and then never posted it. Oops. It is because I want to change it again because I got new furniture (black leather) and I think the red on the paintings look Japanese next to all the black! :)
Good luck, Jen. Your paint choice for your computer room is a great one, in my opinion. To agree with your sister, it'll look fantabulous!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
2 comments:
You're absolutely right- there is no going back! I was in the boys' bathroom this morning thinking, 'what can I do in here'. It's all white with blue fish and green shells sponged all the way around like a border... completely boring! That may just be next : )
For real, Jaosn and I had an old keg as a cahir in our first place. I even bought a little cushion for it to "fem" it up a bit! I also would like to think that the home is a womans place for decor, but my husband has too many damn opinions!
As for the Chalkboard paint, I am so FOR IT. After doing my doors in my kitchen, I am hooked. But the kicker was when I found Bistro Chalk Markers on Papersource.com. They are so cool (and worth the price)!
Cant wait to see your pics of all your work!!
Post a Comment