8.18.2008

Slow Down...

I had high hopes when I started blogging of posting something every day. So much seems to happen at my house that I thought it was a no-brainer. Sigh. No luck. I have fallen off the (Blog) wagon and I cannot seem to jump back on. It's kind of like watching Jimmy running behind the horse wagon last weekend trying to catch up. I guess you had to be there.

After we got back from Barothy, everything that has happened since is a big blur. I started coaching cheerleading Monday. It has been way too long since I've been involved with the sport. (Yes, it is a sport) Some things never change, though. It's kind of like riding a bike. You can take the girl out of cheerleading but you cannot take the cheerleading out of the girl.

I've been studying it all for months, and yet I was such an amateur the night I walked up. Oh boy, what a ride this will be. Peewees are 5th and 6th grade girls. This year, the numbers weren't there so I've been blessed with one 1st grader, two 2nd graders, three 4th graders, five 5th graders and one 6th grader. (no, I am NOT being sarcastic) I have to keep remembering that. We've had a slow start but I really think we are all coming along. It isn't just the girls who need to learn. I have a lot to learn myself. Never having girls of my own, I find I am making things up as I go along. Again, I have to keep in mind their ages when they look at me like, "Whatever" when I am attempting to teach them something important. To them I am just a girl telling them what to do. (hopefully not) In my mind, I think they'll want to know what I want to teach them to help them out later, if they choose to try out at the school level. To a "non-cheerleader" it is all the same, I am sure, but it really isn't. And to be totally truthful, I haven't run across too many other athletes who can pull off cheerleading...unless they were also a cheerleader. I do tend to get defensive, so I will try to steer this post in another direction. The bottom line is it has been a bit of a struggle so far and we've been working hard to get ready for our first game Saturday!!! I know I will only see improvement and I am so excited about that. I am sooo giddy... when I'm not asleep. That reminds me, for the first week and a half, I couldn't fall asleep, even though I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I would put my head on the pillow, close my eyes and run through all the things we can work on the next practice...not on purpose! Keith just welcomed me to the coaching club. Anyway, I just had my first cheerleading dream Saturday night. WOW.

Back to being giddy. Every time I come up with an idea, I get sooo excited and stop whatever it is that I am doing and work on that. We are making a banner tomorrow night after pictures for the boys to run through and I have been working on signs to hold up during crowd participation chants. If you haven't guessed it yet I am surprised, and if you've been wondering, I will confirm it...I got out my Cricut and cut out my letters. They turned out pretty good. I also gut some out, increased the size on the copier, printed them, cut them out, and will be using them for templates on my bigger foam board signs. I am looking for self adhesive vinyl paper to use in the Cricut instead...the adhesive spray is pretty messy and sticky!

See, I'm losing you...I could go on and on about this because I really am geeked!! I always "knew" I'd have girls...you know, like the ones I said my mom cursed me with..("someday you'll have daughters just like you...') I have always been girly, not sporty, and I "knew" I'd be coaching cheerleading. I know, I know. I have actually been asked how I got roped into this. I've also had comments about parents realizing I have all boys...and they leave it like that, as in, "Why on earth are you doing this? I'm doing it because I'm already here anyway. You don't have to be." The answer is because I enjoy this. It is definitely my cup of tea. I'm having a ball running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I thrive on stress. I've got so much info to share and not enough time to share it. I should write a book. That way you only have to read it if you purchase it. You wouldn't be stuck reading it right now.

I have pictures from camp but I cannot post them. I think that would be a wee bit creepy to the parents of the girls. I have to add that I was super excited when the UCA cheerleaders taught things and played games for (learning) fun that I had taught at the practice prior. I just kept saying to the girls, "See...I taught you that!!"

Hey, you can wake up now. The boring cheer talk is over. Go about your business and wipe all thoughts of misery out of your minds.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I am glad that you are having so much fun doing what it is that you love.

Cheerleading is super cool and IT IS A SPORT...not everyone can be a cheerleader (well, at least a good one!!!)

Keep up the good work Coach Jodi...don't worry you are not showing any signs of OCD when it comes to this:)!

The Bug said...

I too am glad that you are enjoying your coaching and getting a little bit of a "girl" fix (spoken from the mom of 2 girls) :)

I know where you can get the vinyl for the signs and feel free to call me to cut the bigger letters - you don't need to do them by hand - I'm more then happy to help!

Shelly said...

I think you are a wonderful coach, Mackenzie has learned more in the past week than she has in the last 3 years of cheering, she even is started to stiffen up like a cheer leader. She came home last night and said, Jodi is a really good cheer leader and coach. The girls all seem to be having a great time.

jennie said...

We didnt do cheerleading for the first time this year because I have been SO dissapointed in the coaches. And with my 2 little ones I cannot step up(yet) and do it myself. Not to mention that Muskegon is a whole other bag of tricks! Did you know that they do "wiggelo" as "jiggelo"???? What are they all freakin' stupid and not realize that 5 year old girls are cheering about being male prostitutes?!?! (kind of a last straw for me) Anyway, thank you for having the heart(and drive) to actually work with these girls and not just supervise social hour.

Christine said...

Good job Jodi! I know you will do a wonderful job as a coach! You were an awesome cheerleader in high school so I know you will be fantastic! I have been asked to help out with MYFC but I don't have the guts to do it! You rock!!!