2.13.2008

One More Thing...

I found a picture of me on my 17th birthday and was struck for two reasons. The first one I told my mom about today. Apparently at 17, no matter what we think at the time, we do not know everything. The picture was taken in first period, in Mr. Holmes' class, my junior year of high school, in February. I am sitting at my desk, opening a birthday card, looking like a smart a** at the camera, wearing a cheerleading tee and a pair of cheerleading shorts. Knit shorts. Did I mention it was February?? I told my mom I'm sure I must've worn a sweatshirt to school. The second reason is that of all pictures to find, I find one not only of a past birthday, but of my 17th birthday. One that took place exactly half my life ago. Should I play the lottery today? Funny, I remember turning 21 and buying my dad a 6-pack of Bud for Valentine's Day. Why? Because I could. I was going to scan that birthday picture and add it to this post. I forgot. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow. I was going to compare it to a photo taken today, at 34. That was the first time I said it all day. I was going to compare the photo, my life, my views, all of it. Deep, I know. Instead, you just get me today.



It really has been a great day. I got nice e-cards from Kirsten and Linda, a birthday song email from Sara, a surprise birthday greeting from an AO underwriter, a birthday greeting from Scott, an email from Jen, a call from my mother in law in Arizona, a song dedicated to me (out loud) by Alli, sung by her entire preschool class...plus many wishes from my family and coworkers. Wow, I must be loved or something. :)

2 comments:

norma said...

A BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Shelly said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jodi, I heard about Alli's dedication to you at school, she's such a sweetie. She made a birthday card for you at my house, she asked me how to spell your name.. She sure adores her Aunt Jodi...