Let me take a think break...remembering back, I was supposed to make it to Caleb's scrimmage before his season started. That day, Kyle got sick. First I thought it was because Andrew yanked hm off the couch and he hit his head and had a headache, like he told me when he called me. Later, after asking why it happened and yelling at Andrew for it, Kyle told me he woke up with the headache! But not before I called to check on him and was told he had been sleeping for a couple hours! All I could think of was a concussion and I panicked and sped home. Needless to say, I missed the scrimmage and there was no concussion. just my poor baby Kyle and a puke bucket. All. Day. Long. Oh, and in case you are wondering, Andrew told Kyle to get dressed and he wouldn't so Andrew pulled him off the couch. Oh, and Andrew was being paid to babysit. I may have called him the worst babysitter ever at the point where I thought kyle's pain was related but I did later apologize and explain my anger. {but did I really need to explain?}
At the missed scrimmage, Caleb had "four or five tackles" and...he was scolded for "punching" another kid. Okay, in a normal world, anyone might say "WHOOPIE, a few tackles" and "Ground that kid for punching and not knowing any better and you've failed as a parent and..." but on the contrary, K and I were thrilled with the tackles and, quite frankly, a bit tickled by the punch that turned out to be a push. Caleb is not
a-g-g-r-e-s-s-i-v-e {couldn't help myself} on the field and is truly scared to death to make contact in fear of dying I assume. I have told him repeatedly that in order to get over the fear, he has to make contact one time to see what it feels like. Apparently he liked it. As for the "punching", he was scolded by the ref and later by the coach {because he had to, right?}and figured he'd be in trouble at home. We gave him a little parenting...and tried to hide the enthusiasm of being proud of him, not for using a form of violence but for sticking up for himself on the field. It could have gone a few different ways but I was happy to see he has the spark. It was a true day of growth for him.

Being on the sidelines coaching is really tough for me. I cannot see much of anything, including players down, and it quite honestly sucks. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying coaching but I am missing out on the field action! The other night Kyle runs up to tell me the player down is Caleb! I stood there, watching. On one hand, I'm next to the filed so I could easily run over but on the other hand I do not want to be that parent who rushes over because her son tripped over his shoelace. {don't laugh, that really could happen to him} besides, with K on the sidelines I knew if it was serious enough {but when is it NOT??} he would be on the scene. I waited it out but bless my cheerleaders' hearts...they kept telling me to go over to Caleb. Sweet little beans. ☺ And he's fine. He thought he was kicked in the stomach but the truth is he was more like stepped on by the looks of the cleat print under his rib!
There is one thing I get to see from where I stand...this sweet little kiddo. {although I tend to see too much of him while he is gallivanting back and forth all game long!} He's now my go-to for all down players on the field. I thought we'd do it on the DL, however. Instead, I hear him screaming at me from the actual sidelines...as he was heading toward me just in front of the bleachers! I'll bet you didn't realize the lanes of the track are sooo wide?!
Cheer has been a little tricky. Twenty four girls signed up for tryouts but only thirteen actually showed up. I decided to keep all thirteen, knowing we'd have plenty of work to do. In the midst, we lost one to dance, which was a bummer. We had a difficult time at stunt camp, vacation work-arounds and personalities clashing a bit but come game day, they knocked my socks off with how well they did together with such little time together to practice. It's going to be a fun season!
Varsity football is in full swing and it's fun to sit in the bleachers on Friday nights, cheering for our Vikings. I've been taking pics of the team for their FB page and, I swear, the energy on that field is contagious! This year I am watching not only K down there coaching but Kyle on the side, cheering our boys on and Caleb, who was asked to keep track of defensive plays for the Defensive Coordinator. What an honor! It's so right up his alley. I was afraid he'd turn down the offer because it would mean no hanging out with friends in the stands but should have known that this is da bomb in his world.
We planned to spend a nice evening two weekends ago with friends at the campground, but it already set in...while coaching, I prefer to be home bound. I cannot easily be swayed to leave my domain during the season. I find real comfort in the confines of my own walls. Not to rain on their parade, K and Kyle headed out without me. I sent chips and dip, although we just had a conversation about that the night before. {kind of a marriage faux pas in my opinion} I just didn't have it in me to do more. {sorry Huiz} Anywho, I felt a sudden burst of energy and since I had been hanging onto a bunch of sayings I wanted to use somehow relating to either football or cheer, I decided to update my wall for fall. Hopefully I can post a full pic soon...every time I try to take one, it turns out dark, even with my flash on! For now this is all I can offer...
{don't mind the "are gray" at the top...that is always there!}
Taking a break from summer for a moment, I found another project to add to my novel. I love the look of lining drawers and this is stinkin' cute!
I got to drool over tons of paper online and want these stores close to home. STAT!
This is an easy enough project and adds just the spice I need in my life right now. ☺














No comments:
Post a Comment