2.20.2012

I Cannot Believe All This Fits In My Head...

So as good as I am at promising pics of projects and such on here and not producing, I figure I should at least touch on snippets from my last post.  The problem is I cannot do anything small so I could go pages touching on all our recent happenings.  Hold tight and hang in there...I will do my best to get you done today.

I mentioned books and Valentine's Day and reading.  I just finished The Help.  It was slow moving at first but I ended up really excited to pick the book up every night.  It was the only time I had any time.  I also finished The Five People You Meet In Heaven and Heaven Is For Real.  That one had me from Go!  There really wasn't any of that let's get ready for the story.  It was more like hello!  This is what's going on!  I'm totally enjoying carving out time to read.  Lucky for me I have five books sitting on my nightstand to keep me occupied.

Caleb needed me to sign a paper from his school counselor last week.  It was his action plan for his next year's class schedule...as a freshman!  In really no way can I believe that boy of mine will be in high school next year!  It is completely out of my realm of understanding.  Not that I cannot fathom me being old enough to have a high schooler...I just cannot grasp that as fast as time has already flown by, it will go at turbo speed the next four years.  Yowza.

Speaking of high school, I pulled off a major event a few weekends back with my first ever solo fundraiser.  By solo I certainly do not mean I had no help.  I just mean I came up with an idea a few months ago, handed it to the coach and was told to go with it.  And in true Jodi fashion, I let it go awhile because I took on coaching again, and returned to it to have it grow a mind of its own.  I just figured nobody really wants to buy cookie dough, gift wrap, nuts and pizzas for every fundraiser, especially with multiple children in multiple sports.  I decided to offer a crop...a scrapbook fundraiser...and it was definitely uncharted territory.  It seemed like a no-brainer to me.  I didn't have to "sell" the idea {other than to the coach} to anyone...people just wanted to "buy" into it.  It was crazy.  For one week I was a total wreck, but kind of in a good way.  I like the thrill of the pressure, or so I say.  In the thirty six hours before the event I added nine people to my attending list!  I received donations from basketball parents for food, as well as from some of my amazing friends.  The event went great.  I was calm the entire day {yes I was!} and got to chat with the attendees.  I even cleaned out my craft room at home and fully funded the door prizes for all attendees! {that's actually sad, but that's for another day}  I received so much positive feedback.  It looks as though I have found my new volunteer area of service.  Now to drop a few others...

My baby lost his first two teeth the same day as my crop.  I picked up a cal from Kyle letting me know the first one fell out.  Ten minutes later another call came in from K letting me know Kyle lost the other.  Sometimes playing football in my basement is a good thing.  He attempted to blow the whistle when his first tooth fell out.  Prior, we were checking every. single. day. to check the progress.  The teeth were so loose that it already appeared as though he lost a tooth because they moved so close together.
 It was to the point where he could move his teeth straight out with his tongue.  Nothing was really holding them in.  Can you appreciate the filth in his nail or does it just gross you out that it's in his mouth? {puke}
 My baby!!  He's a big boy now.  Those little adult teeth are already growing in.  I can definitely wait for the tops to fall out...kids aren't real cute when those jagged nasty adult teeth first surface.  Awkward.  But for now, I love it.
Kyle was also invited to a birthday party a couple of weekends ago.  I can't say it was his first because we've been doing daycare parties and our friend's kid's parties for years but it was still an exciting day for him.  The party was at the Comfort Inn.  It was a pool party and some kids from his class were invited.
 the birthday girl...
 Swapping spit...they thought it was funny.  I thought it was pretty gross, but...Jenna is Kyle's best friend...
 This may need some explaining...maybe they are playing horsey rides?
 The very nature of this photo explains the fun had...and the reason many of the moms were heading out, sans kids, to the theater that evening.
My middle is in another relationship.  He's so cute about it.  He came home from the dance and told me not to tell anyone {or the mom will kill the girl and she will kill him} but he danced with a girl. {actually he told me Sunday because he was at his dad's after the dance}  By Monday he had a girlfriend.  I wonder what that means.  It originated Monday but I think the deal went down Tuesday...Valentine's Day.  I hope she wasn't expecting anything that late in the game...{or at all...otherwise...the curb}  I told him to make sure he talks to her and is kind to her.  I remember "going with" boys in middle school.  One of them would call me and we'd spend twenty minutes on the phone.  Just sitting there.  And we never talked in school.  Never.  What a waste of time.  Pretty ridiculous.  K had a beer with her dad Thursday night.  he didn't realize the correlation until the dad confronted him about it.  He was joking. {I hope}  Then they had a good laugh about it.  I told Andrew the next day that the cat is out of the bag. You should have seen the look on his face when he found out HE knows.  K explained that it's okay...the daughter is the one who spilled the beans to the dad.  Cute.  It's for the best.  I don't know how long he could keep it under wraps with the mom being his math teacher. ☺

Spent the day Friday in GR with my fam.  It is supposed to be the weekend we head to Traverse City with friends but it wasn't in the cards this year.  Cheer districts were scheduled Friday and Kyle's soccer game was scheduled Saturday.  We couldn't skip soccer since we did the week before for the birthday party.  It was a harried mess.  We were here, there and everywhere in a short amount of time.  Returns one place, shopping at the mall.  Before we knew it, it was way past lunch. We drove a half hour to eat, then headed to Target, all before making it to the high school.  I had a meeting at four forty five and the competition started at six thirty.  In that time, the girls were only scheduled to use the mat once for fifteen minutes and once for three minutes.. The rest of the time we waited.  And practiced.  And practiced some more.  And waited.  I would say it was their second best performance all season and possibly their best score!  Not bad for twelve girls who have not only never done competitive before but who also mostly qualify as a jayvee team competing against varsity squads.  Hopefully budget cuts don't affect competitive next year.  This year we were classified as non-school funded. {I coached for free}  To be honest, I don't know that I have it in me again.  It's a lot of commitment and a lot of missing family stuff and although I volunteer with the best of 'em...there is wall I won't slam into more than once.

We were going to spend the night in GR so Kyle could go swimming in the pool and so we wouldn't have to drive home in the middle of the night.  K realized Thursday that we couldn't pull that off because we had nobody to fill the wood stove with my neighbors being in the Cayman Islands. {dang those peeps}  It worked okay.  We used the money we saved in hotel costs to go roller skating and out to eat again Saturday. {we planned to do so anyway but it was nice to have the savings} Those poor kids.  We came to the realization that the last time we took the kids rollerskating was two thousand three...nine years ago!  I know they've gone since then, but I didn't realize Kyle has never been!!  I'll post pics soon with more on it. 

Half way through my list...could add half a dozen more to it.  Will have to be patient I suppose.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

It's so good to have my computer back so I can keep up on your posts - I've missed all of this! DB had a blast and was soooo sore from skating! :) Thanks for inviting him! I promise - I WILL update soon...