6.23.2010

I Just Grew Older Typing This...

How does a week pass so quickly?  I swear I just blogged yesterday, but apparently, it just ain't so.
I don't even know what I've been doing lately.  Looking at my calendar, quite a bit.  Ah, yes...Juuuuune.  I'm almost an entire month behind.  The boys finished school.  I received Caleb's final report in the mail and, yes, he passed.  It said so on the paper.  Oh boy, I wonder if I should be worried about Andrew. {wink, wink}  We didn't get MA passes this year because I felt like we were just too busy every year to really enjoy going after the end of June. {we were there constantly each year that first month} Instead of the traditional last-day-of-school trip to MA, I told the boys to pick their favorite eatery and we would dine in.  Bad mistake.  Branns...of all places.  Whatever.

We planned to camp the following weekend with the Rakes but, instead, cancelled our plans.  Good thing because neither of our families had any business trying to fit yet another event into that weekend.  Just. Too. Much.  Sadly, we cannot really fit camping with friends in the rest of the summer.  Blah.

The week following the end of school kicked off summer events.  Keith took a vacay week to help out at the football camp.  He is thrilled to pieces and cannot wait for the season to officially start.  I can't believe i just said "officially" since I think it started last winter!  K is especially stoked to coach the defensive line.  He was going to have to study up on the offense because he never coached that side in all his years as a high school coach.  Thrilling.

Caleb had camp that week also.  Football camp and the start of basketball...training?  Four days a week the gym is open for lifting {weight room} followed by open gym.  That sounded funny.  Anyway, I think I have it worked out for him to go twice a week.  I think the gym time is great and wish he could participate more, but the lifting bothered me.  In high school, it'll be another story for sure but, for now, I'm not incredibly keen on 4 lifting days each week.  I cannot get him to open gym at 10 every morning so twice a week will have to do.

The brauds and I had a yard sale last Friday.  The weather turned out great, and thanks to free advertising on FB, we had a decent sale.  I've since blown through most of my $245 and I'm okay with that.

Father's Day wasn't too eventful.  We'll be celebrating with Keith's dad this coming weekend in Boyne.  We visited my parents in the late afternoon.  We had a freakout moment.  Keith had just finished saying to me, "Jode...tell Kyle to get away from the deep end without his swimmies on" when Kyle fell in.  Caleb was in the pool and maybe a rational person would have taken stock and just yelled to Caleb to grab Kyle, but a) I wasn't rational and b) Caleb is not a strong swimmer.  I am a tanner myself, always have been.  Kristin got the fins in my family.  I'm a wreck about water safety.  I can remember standing on the dock a few years back when Caleb fell off a big water tramp on the lake and I panicked. Keith was up on the top of a hill, so far away from where I was-and Caleb- but that didn't stop him from exposing his super powers and heading lightening fast into the water to save my son.  I knew I'd marry him someday. ☺  That flash was front and center when Kyle fell in.  We were much closer but it's still a horrible feeling.  I felt it once before with him when he fell over under water at Duck Lake a couple of years ago.  Icky, icky feeling.  Emotions were running high for my hubby.  Although he loves Caleb to death, this was his first "fatherly" experience and, I'm quite certain, his last.  Even in shades, he was a terrible mess.  He grabbed Caleb after all was said and done and held him tight, and thanked him.  I know why I married him. ☺  The mood certainly changed, but it was still a nice afternoon.

Keith received a call from a police academy buddy the other night.  He told me to grab the calendar.  Oh, good...his family is coming for a visit.  Great people.  Oh, what's that?  Oh, they are staying with us.  Fanfreakintastic!!  Oh, uh-huh, in 3 weeks!  Superb.  Honey, we still only have one bathroom.  Share it?  Oh, hell no!!  Our friends and their two boys will be staying with us in July.  I am excited to see them.  This will be my first experience with house guests.  It looks like we are in fast, fast-forward from here on out.  The irony is that, just an hour before this call, I was telling K that we need to bust a move because we only had 4 weeks before Caleb's 13th birthday party and I didn't really want 15 teenage boys meandering through  my bedroom {white carpet} to use the potty.  Haha.  I think Caleb would correct me if he heard me use teenagers and potty in the same sentence.  At that time K said we probably wouldn't make it.  Now with one less week, we just have to!!!

Bible school this week.  This year Kyle gets to attend and both of my bigs are little leaders.  ANdrew said he's not having as much fun.  I think it's because he enjoyed bible school as a student.  He likes all the crafts and snacks.  I don't think he's too keen on doing the prelim work.  Sorry, kiddo.  Buck up and realize you are now officially a junior high kid.  It's all downhill from here.

Yesterday I took the boys to Lakeside for the afternoon.  Keith met us at Max and Marleys for lunch.  Super yum.  I'm really into the boys branching out and trying new things lately.  Caleb pleased me without being prodded by ordering the Bean Weenie.  Aha, someone's finally getting that if you like A and you like B maybe, just maybe, you can like them together!!  This hot dog had baked beans and bacon on it.  Yum.  Andrew doesn't get the concept yet.  He ordered a Plain Ol' Dog, but ordered two of them.  Growing, growing.  After lunch, the boys and I headed to the beach.  Remember the almost drowing incident?  Well, I do and it was a hard lesson learned to sit tight and let them play.  Okay, I like the beach a ton, but for the sun.  I want my eyes closed and my body flat on the ground.  Not a place for me and children.  I have to let go of my fears sometimes.  I am a freak about the water.  We never ever go to the beach.  Caleb went out in the lake and my first thought was, "he doesn't have swimmies on!!"  I really did, but not because he usually wears them in the water.  I'm even embarrassed to admit that.  I watched him like a hawk thinking that at any minute he could be pulled under or some other bad thing could happen.  Even Kyle yelled to him to come closer to shore.  It was cute.  I decided to put on my big girl panties, but not totally because I should have but because I had to since Kyle decided to get in.  I believe this was only his second trip to the beach.  Ever.  He could have drowned the first time.  I'm not really into taking chances.  I was constantly yelling for him to come closer andstep back and get closer and get back!  Oh, and I was in the water.  And he had swimmies on.  How do you cut the cord?  Not Kyle's cord, but in general?  I remember being at the beach at 15.  Don't know if I ever went before that on my own.  Probably.  I know I went with my daycare lady.  I was probably 12. {couldn't be trusted on my own I guess}  That would never happen now!  AM I seriously a freak?  I cannot control what I have no control over {like that?} but still...

Anyway...we left the beach after only an hour and a half...boring kids! {wink}  We played frisbee and built sand castles.  Caleb jumped the waves.  After heading out, we stopped by Candy Heaven to check out the goods.  You know, I can honestly say I've never spent 16 plus dollars on candy before!  It's only money, right? {twofold if we have to pay for a cavity or two}  It was fun and the boys had fun.  That's what counts in the end.  Caleb would have been a little more eager to stay if, say, a friend was with us.  Next time, I assured him.  Right, do you think I can handle all the stress of another child in the water?  Heaven help me!  Lucky for me, my girlfriends want to take a trip to the beach Friday...with little friends!


Andrew will like this picture...he kind of looks like Harry Potter.

Speaking of, Andrew has a new hobby.  He's totally fascinated with Harry Potter and got an idea from you tube.  He has been working long hours on a full season of Lego videos.  He has been making movies with his legos, mainly Harry Potter legos, and doing all the editing and adding words and music himself.  He put the entire first collection on dvd.  He's working on voice editing.  Our microphone didn't work so he needs to come up with another idea.  Like work for $ to buy his own.  I'm just sayin'.  It's all very smart.  He's so talented and creative.  I like to think he gets that creative thingy from me.  Is that genetic?  Let's say it is.

Oh, and speaking of creativity, I'm working on a bridal shower for someone.  Can't elaborate in case she stumbles upon this entry, but it's gonna be excitin' business!!

Boyne this weekend with the Strattons.  Caleb and Andrew are joining the men for a round of golf.  Kyle Stratton is joining the ladies for some fierce art fair shopping.  I can see a lot of $$ being spent on bribery.  Why didn't I have a girl??

No comments: