I heart Mother's Day. I really, really do. I have 3 favorite holidays. Selfishly I'll start with my birthday. It is the one and only day of the year that is 100% all about me. In theory. In reality, well, I'll keep the painted picture out there so as not to ruin the thought. Christmas, for obvious reasons, is another favorite. Everything family. Everything love. Everything hopeful, happy, and believable. {used this way for the sake of the sentence} Last, but nowhere near least, is Mother's Day. Again, I suppose this is an obvious.I am seriously blessed to have children that, despite their everyday, sometimes rather odd behavior, on Mother's Day are the most angelic, loving, best behaved little men in the universe. Yes, the universe. The other 364 days each year I wonder if my boys really get that I love them when it seems I am always on their butts. This one day each year, I know they get it because of the wondrous love I receive from them, both outwardly and with gifts.
As with most moms, my best gifts have always been homemade. This year...not one single exception. I was doubly lucky to have Kyle at two different daycares last week because I received two gifts from him. {selfish, aren't I?} One was a little picture made entirely with Kyle's body parts. {hands, arms, fingertips-or maybe legs instead} Aw, darn...I just realized I didn't attach a photo of my awesome card he made me...

This saying is attached to the flower pic. Sappy, I admit, but I cried reading it as if Kyle penned the words himself...
Caleb was so excited to give me the present he made as well. I love that even at the 5th grade level, the last grade before junior high, his teacher set this up for the class. I felt bad opening it, or rather trying to open it. The flowers are removable and are coupons for random things. He accidentally glued them to the pot. I didn't want him to know...
Andrew hesitated coming out for breakfast. I didn't think much of it until I saw his face as he finally entered the kitchen. All it took for him to break down was me asking him what was wrong. He started to cry, saying he didn't have anything for me for Mother's Day. Oh. My. Goodness. Heartbreaking. Andrew has made me rings, necklaces, frames, a 3-D family portrait {that one was tricky}...he was so upset that he had nothing for me. Prior to Sunday, he kept dropping hints about the cost of necklaces and earrings and such. I pretty much ignored the whole business. I think he was waiting for Keith to take him shopping because he has done that in the past. {who can resist a patriotic beanie baby elephant??} Andrew didn't know that I told Keith to hold off because I think I may want a new bike but we need to find the time to shop for one. Anyway, I grabbed Andrew tight and told him not to worry. Having them is the best gift in the world. I don't remember who's idea it was, but he grabbed some stuff, ran to his room, shut the door and told me not to come in. Awhile later I walked passed his door and I bent over to pick something up that looked like it had been dropped. It was a piece of paper Andrew had slid under the door stating, "DO NOT DISTURB."
Sunday morning was crazy because we were doing last minute things before church for the party later that day. Andrew told me he was done with my present and handed me a piece of paper and told me he planned a scavenger hunt for me. {yup, he's pretty great.} I didn't have a speck of time so I asked him if it was okay to wait until after church. He was fine with it. Minutes later, Keith came up to me...
Keith: Did you looove Andrew's card?
Me: I haven't seen it yet so don't tell me about it.
Keith: Oh, okay, well he's going to be your favorite today. {as he's picking up a strip of paper from the counter, crinkling it up.}
Me:Oh, don't...Andrew set this up as a scavenger hunt.
Keith: Oh, damn...{as he uncrinkled the paper, headed to the garbage and pulls out a couple pieces of paper} I didn't know. I thought Andrew just left scraps lying around.
I received a book...
{feel the love...}

{not sure why he cut this page so close...this is about our date}
{he thinks I was nice to buy him cookies...does that make me sound mean, like I never do anything nice? He just knows that I believe that junk is a rip- off
and causes cavities ;)}

Um, yes, I was crying. I have every single card, letter, homework assignment, daycare craft...every single thing I've ever received for Mother's Day. And don't think for one moment that I don't pull it all out occasionally for a good cry and smile.I heart Mother's Day. I heart my boys. I am so very blessed to have them in my life. They are sweet, giving, kind, loving and at least ten trillion other things. I had an awesome Mother's Day. Thank you Caleb, and Andrew and Kyle. Without the three of you, I wouldn't be me.



3 comments:
Sweeter than sweet.
I really really love Mothers Day too. It just keeps getting better:)
I just wish it was twice a year.
I ma CRYING right now! OMG!!! HOW SWEET! It really doesn't get better than that! I think you had you best Mother's day to date! What a little sweetheart! :)
so very sweet, Andrew is going to make a good husband someday. You are very blessed. Happy late Mother's day Jodi..
Post a Comment