Saturday night was date night at my house, but not just any ordinary date night. I took Andrew out on the town. Okay so really I just took him to another town but it's all good. I asked him last week if he'd like to go on a date with me and his reply was quite funny. "Huh? A day-ate?" The face is the best. He wrinkled up his nose in disapproval when I know that he was secretly tickled pink, just a bit embarrassed. My house certainly has been infected with the middle child syndrome. It's a dirty disease and I decided to take measures to clear it up. Caleb had his own thing going on and I figured Keith and Kyle could hang out for a bit while Andrew and I painted the town red. First we hung out at Barnes and Noble. Andrew didn't seem to know quite what to do. I sent him out on his own to wander around and check things out. He came back with a book he was interested in. I put it in my {growing} pile and sent him back out. He didn't come back with anything so I decided to help him out a bit. He forgot he had so much money to spend. He was very excited to figure out he had enough money for 3 books, two of which are part of a trilogy, so he will have reason to go back. As we walked out of the store, we saw the school secretary, whom I love, and I explained that we were on a date. Andrew just smiled. No wrinkled nose.
Andrew decided to eat before the next stop so we headed to Red Lobster first. I tried convincing him to eat first thing, but he was so giddy about spending his money so he wanted to book shop first. Dinner just happened to be at 6:04pm. Yikes. RL was totally packed with people even waiting outside. I made the executive decision not to go in to check on a table so Andrew decided on Branns. 6pm, Saturday, with the game on in the bars...we found the very last open table in the bar at Branns. Super great! I told Andrew to order whatever he wanted, including appetizers. Yes, appetizers. He was in 7th heaven. Mozzarella sticks. I was thinking about a small steak but not completely sold on it when he ordered one. Good for him. It is always mac n cheese or chicken strips...live a little, man. Neither of us were able to finish our dinners and we had to practically roll out of that place.
We had one more stop to make. Target. We were looking for birthday plates and accessories. Andrew found cool skateboard{er} invites but there weren't any cool plates to match. We were looking at the square ones. Andrew picked the coolest ones...ones I would have personally chosen. Very retro, very cool. Invites, plates, napkins and cake plates. Perfect. I felt a bit guilty having to go home. I felt like we should've done more. We both felt horrible and Keith had to work so we couldn't be out too long. My mind was eased when he thanked me for the date and told me he had a really fun time. That is no small feat for Andrew. He tends to be a little...self absorbed. Him thanking me without me prompting him truly meant the world to me. I knew he had a great night.


7 comments:
Aww :) Good for him... good for you!
That is so sweet! I need to do that with each of the girls sometime. We never get to do things alone.
Such a sweet heart! I am glad that you both had such a great time!!! Keep up the good work, Mom!!!
so glad you had a good time with your little man!
What a sweet night for you both...those one on one times are really the best!
this is so cute!
it almost reminds me of the time you were about to marry uncle keith and you took me to the mall all day =] i'm glade you two had fn!
sounds like a wonderful date!
Post a Comment