I was inspired a week ago after reading Jennie's blog about a big Christmas season project she is taking on. She is going to document the big stuff like parties and Christmas baking and opening presents as well as the not-so-big stuff...the stuff that either gets pushed aside or forgotten...because we're all too busy.
Something about her post struck a chord with me. Every single year I make big plans, in my head, for the holidays...you know, the way things should be... Every year, I'm a day late and dollar short and always end up disappointed in myself. Last year was the worst. To be honest, I don't know what happened but I remember being so last minute with everything. I didn't enjoy much at all. Even something so great as baking with the boys for their Christmas program at church was tainted by USPS chaos! Do you remember that I dropped my camera at church the week before and broke the lens? I decided to go digital, paid extra to get it before baking the cookies and ended up chasing it down on a Friday evening because USPS wouldn't leave it without someone being home. I understand all that, but at the time, the cookies, the program, the day of the week and my past experience buying big ticket items from Amazon.com during the holidays all weighed heavier on my mind. {breathe}
I already document every Christmas in a scrapbook. I love to compare the years and see how much my babies have grown. This book is a bit the same and a bit different. It would force me to be in the here and now which is something I desperately need. The book has to be ready to go by December 1st (just like cheer shoes, parade decor, t-shirt designs and orders, floor cheers, sleep over plans, stunts...) NO WORRIES! Remember, I work best under pressure! I look forward to the challenge. Besides, I really need it. My babies are growing up way too fast and these memories we create will be all I'll have to hold on to one day.
With that being said, my trees are up and the decorations are getting there. We are decorating the office window tomorrow and I am attending a crop that Jennie invited me to Friday night! Woot! Jennie, I can go! I wanted to be ready to put my book together by then but I am having a hard time with the materials. Which brings me to...
Finding Joy. I have found myself relishing in the season ever since Jennie's post. She really got me thinking. I am finding myself drawn to the spirit of it all. Normally I can hold off on Christmas music until December 1. This year I have a new cd from Kohls...LOVE IT! and I've been frantically searching the radio for tunes. 108 is usually overkill by starting up the day after Halloween or so, but this year I crave it and they have let me down. No crushing my spirit, though. I'll bring my own. BYOC...bring your own Christmas. :)
I've also been drawn to vintage lately. I enjoy the nostalgia of Christmas. Remembering the old pics at grandma's and the "look" of everyone and everything. Again, someday that is all I'll have. It'll be all my children have. I want them to have tons and tons. I'm looking at vintage Santa clipart to use and I've found a few card templates that have a retro feel to them that I am interested in. I want them done by the 1st also. (add that to my list) One card cracks me up a bit. At first glance, it isn't a big deal-just a fireplace with stockings hung on it. To me, this is a picture of my Grandma Hoffman's cardboard fireplace that was sooo retro 70's...it kills me, but it makes me laugh and remember happy childhood thoughts.
I posted the prior post because, at the time I originally saved it, I wanted to remind everyone to step back for a moment. Remember the things and people who are so important and give them consideration. I have to remind myself to do that. It sure doesn't happen nearly enough. We should be giving of ourselves all year long and many don't think about it until Christmas and even then it can seem like a chore simply because of all the other holiday obligations we have. We're human. But so are our spouses and children. And our parents and grandparents. And our sisters and brothers. And our friends.I am sending out a little pre-Christmas love to you today. Get ready. December 1st is coming. Whether you take pictures, save them in an album, scrap them into a book, try the above challenge or just write down basic info, get ready. Pay attention to the big stuff this holiday. Pay even more attention to the little stuff and document it somehow. Find joy...
1 comment:
I am SO happy that you can make it! It will be fun and rewarding.
I also am ready for Christmas music! heard it in Walmart a couple weeks ago and have been ready ever since. I'll put up my Blog Playlist soon...Its SOOO good:)
I am going prepared to the crop. I have ben sketching layouts like a crazy person. If you are looking for ideas, try www.pencillines.com. Lots of inspiration there. I am bringing my 8x11 book and my December Daily.
I suppose I should have written most of this in an email...;)
BTW-great post! I am with ya(but not as busy)still a bit overwhelmed. I am hoping blogland helps to keep me grounded.
Post a Comment