7.24.2008

Eleven Years Ago Today...

Wow, it is a bit cliche' but it seems like only yesterday that I was getting ready for the birth of my first bambino. Everything was progressing rather smoothly until my last routine checkup. Caleb had turned. He was breech and was starting to deliver foot first. I know that sounds funny, but it is what Dr. David told me. All I could picture was this little baby foot hanging out where it shouldn't be and I wondered where on earth his other leg was!! Dr. David scheduled me for a c-section the following afternoon. I panicked!! I never once read up on c-sections and didn't know a thing about them and in an instant I was scheduled to have one! Kristin was with me at the time, so we left the office and headed promptly to Red Lobster for my last supper, so to speak. I was so consumed with fear that I didn't eat much. I know what you are thinking...yes, I must've been super stressed in order to eat light at RL!! I went home that afternoon, pulled out every bit of everything I could find to read about c-sections. I didn't answer the phone and I only told my family what was happening. Linda kept calling because she knew I had an appointment that day, but I didn't feel like talking. Silly Linda. Since I didn't answer, she called Hackley and they filled her in.

I asked Caleb this morning if he felt eleven. He thought about it and said not really. I told him that this afternoon, as he's getting ready for his party at his dad's, it would hit him all of a sudden. I told him he didn't feel eleven yet because he isn't. I guess that used to work, back when he was ten!!

We were talking about his birthday last night and I just started tearing up. Keith looked at me and just shook his head. Apparently I do this often. Caleb has grown into such a wonderful young man. He is kind and considerate. (here come the tears) He is everything I wish for him to be. I am so proud of him. He melts my heart. He may be the spittin' image of his dad and he may look up to him and in other's eyes he may be his dad's biggest fan, but...he loves his mommy from the very, very bottom of his toes and he shows it constantly and it gets me every time.

Happy Birthday, baby turtle! I love you more than you'll ever know, but I'll forever try to show you!

Andrew was feeling a little left out this morning with all the attention Caleb was getting. I think he forgets that he also has a birthday once a year and gets all oohed and aahed over. Oh well. Grandma Tallquist said she'd throw out a little extra love his way today. The boys are going with her to the airport to pick up their Aunt Michelle who lives in Texas. Both are sooo excited to see and spend time with her.

3 comments:

Janine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CALEB!!!!
JODI, YOUR BOYS ARE GORGEOUS, ALL THREE OF THEM.......AND I SEE YOU IN THOSE CUTE FACES.

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday Caleb, Ty will be 11 in September and it feels so strange that these boys are getting so old. Hang in there, its nice to know that I am not the only one feeling sentimental.

jennie said...

Only a GREAT Mama can raise a son like Caleb.Good work! Enjoy those memories:)