Saturday night was the CIA Christmas program called, "Live From Bethlehem." The boys were each reporters with the press and, oh my gosh, they were a stitch! I always make sure the boys learn their lines for different school and church plays, but I am careful NOT to pay too close attention to all the practicing and I don't sit in on the group practices because I want to be fully surprised. Boy, was I ever! I asked the boys, the morning of the play, if it was a humorous one. They both said it was not, so I thought I would put a little spin on their parts for them. i knew they were reporters and by listening to a couple of their lines, I thought they could do a little improv to make the audience laugh. they both hesitated, but I told them it would be "fun"!! Later that day they told me it could not be done because they had to hold a mic and because Mrs Vanderleest said no changes would be made. (did they rat me out??)
I didn't realize Andrew would be the opening act. You all know Andrew's voice and his persona...he is easily excitable and he has such a high pitched squeaky voice, that when he gets excited, all his words run together and is hard to understand. Well...he did a phenomenal job! What a natural! He is my artsy child. He was clear and precise and although the dialogue was already written, he pulled the humor off without a hitch! Yes, there was plenty of humor in the entire play. Everyone did a wonderful job. Kudos to the entire staff for putting the whole thing together.
I planned on video taping this play, but decided against it at almost the last minute. I am sooo bummed!!! I want to play a clip to share with all of you. Caleb loves to act! Everything Caleb does, he does with such gusto! He always give 100% whether it is in sports or productions-and that is exactly what it is when Caleb is involved...he kills me! I remember the difficulty I had, when he was younger, with trying to figure out how I was going to relate to him. He wasn't very social and was very, very shy. When keith and I got married, the boys walked me down the aisle, and you would've thought that Caleb was going to have a heart attack because he was sooo nervous! He made eye contact with NO ONE! Pat has always said that he "hung back" in school and always watched other people. (sorry Pat-I'm trying to be careful with my words so I don't make you out to be a tool) I, on the other hand, was outgoing and very social. I had no idea how to parent a "wallflower." Wow, what a turnaround...those of you who haven't always known Caleb are probably surprised as heck that he hasn't always been a scene stealer and crowd pleaser. One thing is for sure, he has always been a mommy pleaser!!
My big guys are pretty darn comedic! Aside from sports, Caleb thinks acting is the best thing since sliced bread. They have both had parts in past church plays, and each has had a part in their 3rd grade productions of The Littlest Reindeer. Maybe someday, while watching TV, you'll hear, "Live from the Apollo..." and hear one of my guys' names follow!!! Nothing is impossible!!





1 comment:
They look adorable!
I am so glad they enjoyed themselves!
I loved that kind of thing when I was in school. I was such a ham.
Good job, boys!
Post a Comment