11.23.2011

{My} Boy Meets Girl...

So, date night is a term I used to only use for K and I.  Last night, however, all of that changed.  Let me back up.

At the beginning of middle school two years ago, Andrew asked Caleb when he would have a girlfriend.  His answer, he figured, was in seventh grade.  That gave him time he thought.  Well, folks, it's the eighth grade year and he was bummed when Andrew asked a girl to be his first girlfriend.  Last year I remember him telling me he didn't want a girlfriend because he'd have to struggle with who to sit with at lunch and he'd have to spend all his money on granola bars. {really?}  The boy totally stepped it up in recent days.  He went to a party two weekends ago and was invited to another party last weekend.  He came home a taken man.  And he seems to be making up for lost time. {smooch}

Last night, after taking him to the movies, I asked him how his first non-date went.  He asked me why I was calling it a non-date and I explained that at fourteen, he's clearly not old enough for the real thing! Point taken.  I felt fairly comfortable allowing the whole thing to happen.  He's such a great kid.  So trustworthy.  I will allow it to happen, within reason, until he gives me a reason to think otherwise.  I made sure to remind him, at both parties, to first address the moms by introducing himself and then thanking them for allowing him to be invited. {both hosts were girls from another school}  Last night I told him to bring his wallet and offer to pay for his non-date's ticket.  He was already on it.  Poor guy thought he was paying Whitehall's movie price, however...sorry, Charlie!  Muskegon's prices are much higher!  He had it set in his mind to spend not more than twenty dollars...he didn't, but he also didn't get a snack!  He thought he might need to get a job!  Lucky for him, he doesn't have to worry about his lunch mates and definitely won't get tired of his new girl too quickly since they go to different schools!  However, the holidays are in full swing so I warned him of the potential of more money spent soon. This is just the beginning of a whole new lifestyle for me.  And I'm going to have to be fit in.  And I don't know that I like it.  But he's growing up fast.  And I sure do love him!♥

No comments: