10.07.2011

Thankful...

Today I am thankful.  For no reason in particular, but at the same time, for so many things.  Being a mom is a powerful thing.  More powerful than I realized, even after giving birth three times.  My heart has been affected in a major way but until today I didn't even know how much.  Today is a wonderful day.

Has it been a gazillion years since I've posted?  It certainly seems like it.  So many times I've wanted to sit down and talk but then when I would, I didn't feel like getting into anything.  I think it has to do with {now} being thankful. {refer to above}  And grateful.  For whatever reason anyway, today is the day.

The football team is playing Hart tonight away.  Assuming {only} that we'll beat them, I chose to plan Kyle's birthday sleepover for the evening.  Very low key.  He chose to invite three friends.  Yippee!  I've always told the boys I will spend the bucks if they decide to have a party and they can invite a large number of people if they desire to but sleepovers are food and drinks only and the entertainment falls on the shoulders of the person celebrating the birthday.  It has worked well for us in the past so I am sticking to it with Kyle.  Last year I spent tons of time with decor and whatnot for a party.  This year I spent seven dollars and eighty two cents {plus the pizza} and I'm basically done!  And I'm sure the kids will have just as much fun.  Keith is out of town this weekend so other than the craziness from the basement tonight {you'd be amazed at the amount of noise that can come from four boys.  I'm not because it usually comes from just one or two.} I get to sit alone, read and enjoy some chai tea.  It makes my heart sing.

With Keith out of town, Kyle is forced to spend time with me.  And I with him.  Daddy is Kyle's number one fan and vice versa.  It's nice to be "forced" to spend time together.  We always have fun.  Lots on the list.
  1. pumpkin roll
  2. joanns
  3. hobby lobby
  4. target
  5. pull out halloween decor
  6. go for a bike ride
Jo invited us to the pumpkin roll, which seems to be against both of our better judgements.  We shall see.  I've never been to one before.  Too much chaos for me.  We went to the Fall fest last weekend {or two?} and it was okay but nothing to write home about.  At least not for Klye.

Andrew is running for Vice President for Student Council and I need to grab him some supplies at the craft store for his campaign.  He'll need lots of anything I can do for him because one of his opponents is JZ and I got nuttin' on his mama.  She rules the roost in all things crafty and fabulous.  Andrew's stuff won't compare to JZ's for sure, but I'll do my extra special best. ☺{totally envious of you, JZ, but admire the heck out of ya!}  Also, it's time to start thinking Halloween costumes!!

I've been putting off doing anything about a new battery for Kyle's camera.  I do believe my last post mentioned something about me promising to work on paying attention and not blowing my children off. {or something like that}  I told Kyle we would stop at Target and pick a battery up.  I'll surprise him with a trip to the snack bar...his favorite place to eat!  Plus I have some cash to spend there and lucky me gets to spend it on jeans for the boys!  I figure they are free that way so what the heck!  My biggest has a flood issue and it has to be handled pronto.  Technically, the pant length is fine.  But just fine.  I asked him to ask his dad if the jeans were okay in length and then I corrected myself to say to ask his dad if I'd think the length was okay.  His dad said yes on both counts and then made a great point of saying both him and Keith are five inches taller than Caleb and they both have a thirty two inch inseam.  I was dropping it, even though it was making me crazy that his jeans aren't long enough.  What do you do?  They don't make a thirty one for men.  Then my lovely seester pointed out that Caleb is all legs and because he's still growing, his top and bottom halves are not yet proportioned.  Brilliant!  That made perfect sense so I had him try Keith's jeans on.  Other than the infomercial I witnessed for NutriSystem {"I've lost thirty pounds on NutriSystem" is what I heard as he dropped the pants to the floor} I felt that even though the length was a tad long, it could be done!  Now the issue is finding a pair of jeans to fit.  28x32 isn't exactly a common size.  Twenty nines are ridiculous but that's what a belt is for I suppose.  If all else fails, I know we can get by with a 29x30 for now...if he only cinches the waist a little, they'll still hang enough to make up for the difference in length! 

Did you get all that?  Yowza.  Some things are better kept to ourselves.  Anyway, we're also going to get our pumpkin and Halloween stuff out.  Kyle asked the other day and as I told him it was too early, I remembered we had already entered October.  Freakish!  It'll be fun.  I don't have too many Halloween items but if I ever throw a party for it, watch out!  I have So. Much. Party. Stuff.  WOOT!

Kyle and I spent time last Tuesday, before school, taking a ride on the bike path.  The forecast was threatening rain so I wasn't too keen on Kyle possibly getting wet and sitting all day in those clothes.  Surprise!  It rained!  Oh well.  He wasn't too bad off.  It was nice to have that time together.  We're going to do it again tomorrow.  I've been wanting to get on the new portion of the bike path and this will be our opportunity.  I'm totally loving this weather.

Okay, here's something on my mind...does anyone else have this problem?

I walked past Caleb's room and caught a glimpse of this.  This was after I asked Caleb to make his bed.  I suppose he did what I asked...in a random, round about way.  On the other hand...really?  How did he not notice his missing bed sheet when he was making the bed?  {and that's not mentioning the rest of the mess}It's not like the rest of the blankets were at least all together or anything like that.  Every morning, after I look in to see whether or not he made his bed before leaving for school,{lol} I have to pick up Caleb's comforter and quilt off the floor because they are always laying on the power strip and I'm a freak about stuff like that!  Did I mention a conversation I had with Kyle about a friend's boy mowing the lawn?  To sum it up, it went kind of like this...

K:Why is Ryan mowing the lawn?  He's too young.

J:He's not too young.  he's eleven.

K:He's too young.

J:Believe it or not, Kyle, outside of our fantasy fairy tale home, other children your age, especially your brothers' ages, do real chores and help out around the house.  I'm afraid none of you will survive on your own.  you'll all starve and have to wear dirty clothes.

K:Don't worry.  I'm going to live with Caleb when he graduates.

J:Well, you'll only be ten when he leaves for college so fat chance.  And, tell me...who's going to take care of who??

The sad thing is, I really would wonder that!!  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

No comments: