7.23.2011

In Their Words...

I loved Portage Lake Covenant Bible Camp! Their food was AMAZING! My favorite meal was chicken patties. During our free time, I would either: (1) play GaGa Ball, then go swimming in the lake, or (2) skate at the skate park, then go swimming. I loved bouncing on their water trampoline. But on some days, my cabin would take a trip. On Wednesday, my cabin went canoeing on the Manistee River. My canoe tipped by some dead trees. But maybe a half hour later, we went down the natural water slide, which was FREEZING! My cabin also went on an outcamp trip, which included lots of bugs, singing, and tents with spider webs in the corners. My counselor's name was Tyler. During Counselor Idol, he dressed up as Michael Jackson and danced to Thriller. On Friday night, we had a talent show. I sang Ghostbusters, and lots of people liked it. Everyone said that I did good, but I don't like hearing myself being recorded.-Andrew

I saw things a little differently.  We only went on one trip, and that was to Sleeping Bear Dunes.  We hiked Arcadia, which is as tall as the high point of Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. My free time went like this most days... (1) Get something to drink from "concessions", (2) Swim in the lake, which was a very good time, then (3) hang out with friends for the rest of the time, about 45 minutes to an hour.  They did trivia to see who went first into the meals and I answered a lot of them, but our generous cabin let all the girl cabins go first, making us close to last every time.  I made a LOT of new friends and had a great cabin group.  At night we would raid the kitchen and play a bunch of different card games until we decided the time was right to turn out the lights.  The last three or four days we were awakened just in time to get dressed and go to breakfast.  Then this morning we spent forever trying to clean up the cabin before breakfast, which we failed to do.  Best time ever!!!  Definitely wanting to go again next year.-Caleb

From the mom...

As I mentioned before, I was a little more than anxious to see the boys this morning.  The alarm went off at seven and we tried to leave by seven thirtyWe only left a little later than planned.  I drove.  I think it's because I was on a mission.  We stopped in Manistee at Wesco and I swear Keith and Kyle were in there for a half hour!  "Come on, people...let's GOOOO!"

We pulled in to the parking lot, parked and got out of the van pretty fast.  Okay, I got out pretty fast.  I had to keep stopping myself from running to wait for the slow pokes.  As soon as I could see the cabin, Caleb saw us and came right our way.  I was so excited to hug him.  Apparently he had the same idea.  My baby, who is turning fourteen tomorrow, gave me a huuuuge bear hug.  And he didn't let go.  I asked, "Are you homesick?"  He said, "Yes.  I'm starting to be."  Just as I let go and wiped a tear away, I saw Andrew also heading right for us.  He had that look on his face like he was holding a ton back.  Kyle tried to give him a hug and he half hugged back but he was heading for his momma!  We hugged for what seemed like an eternity.  He had a ton of fun but was sooo ready to come home.  And I was totally biting.   I wasn't ready for all the emotions coming out of me.  Very overwhelmed.  It was like my over-tired day during AYBT.  Every clap, every smile, every movement...I couldn't control the tears.  Whew.  I have a whole year to work on that!☺ Immediately following the situation, Caleb kicked into high gear with a "This was the best ever!  Definitely coming back next year!"
 
The boys were both so funny.  Andrew started out by saying he hoped I wasn't gonna be mad but he lost one sock.  Then Caleb admitted he lost one also.  The Andrew had to also fess up that he lost my water bottle...but it was because his canoe tipped upside down and it sunk.  I'm quite surprised that's all that was lost.  Camping with me two weeks ago they managed to lose a hoodie and bike helmet, not to mention have a pair of sport flops stolen {and recovered} and a bike almost lost.  Who loses a bike??

We are definitely considering building a GaGa Ball pit.  I think it would be tons of fun, especially watering it down to a mud pit.  We certainly have the outdoor space for it!  Camp offered everything under the sun for the kids to try.  I love it!  I was stopped many times by counselors telling me how awesome Andrew did in the talent show.  One camper even turned around before the rally this morning, looked at Andrew then looked at him again and then asked, "Were you in the talent show last night?  Did you sing Ghostbusters?  That was awesome!"  I'm so proud of that boy!  Caleb was also gonna sing {a Justin Bieber song} but couldn't get a commitment from a cabinmate to be "his" Jayden Smith.  Next time, I'm sure.

The plans are already being made for next year!  Caleb's group plans to do the senior high camp so he's hoping to as well.  He can go to junior high camp one more year but he really wants to go with his new pals!  No problem.  What's better than driving to Onekama twice in a week, after making almost the same trip the week before and planning to do it again the week after?  Making the same trip two extra times for two camps!  Ha!  I'd do it again and again to have the boys this excited about bible camp.

The boys brought disposable cameras to camp so as soon as I get the film developed, {??} I will post pics.

No comments: