1.24.2011

Stress+Fun...

I love super fabulous weekends. {serious}  I also love this new stage of teenagerdom I have fallen into. {sarcastic}

Friday I picked the boys up from school at 3:30.  Caleb gets into the van and tells me the Elks free throw contest is that evening and wants to participate and that all his friends are also.  Keith was at an all day impromptu football camp and Andrew and I were heading to a jewelry party. {not really.  Andrew was supposed to ride with me but go out for dinner with his friend}  I asked Caleb the time and location.  He just stared at me.  Apparently it didn't cross his mind to ask that question.  I told him to figure it out.  Still, I got the stare.  I came up with the great idea of texting a friend. {crickets} He did.  When one friend didn't know, I told him to text another friend.  When that friend didn't know, you can guess what I suggested next.  Funny thing is, he said those two were it.  This is the second time I've heard "all my friends are doing it" when, in fact, there are only a limited number of boys actually doing it.  Sigh.

Caleb made it.  Ended up that there were three of them.  He didn't do as well as the night before {which he shot 11 of 15...forgot to mention...and also shot a just-in-case tie breaker with 4 of 5} but managed 14 of 25.  Bummer.  Oh well.  25 shots in a row, I imagine, gets tiring.

I got home from the jewelry party and started putting all of Caleb's SAT paperwork together.  Except I couldn't.  I have a basket on my counter that has nothing in it but SAT and ACT paperwork for the boys.  Both admission tickets were in there when Caleb took his practice test.  Not Friday night.  I ripped my house apart.  I cried.  I ripped more of my house apart.  I cried some more.  I was ruining his life.  Then I second guessed myself, thinking he never received the ticket in the mail.  Ruining his life indeed since I never reported it.  Whatever.  He's in 7th grade.  Once I calmed down and regained rationality, I remembered having the ticket because it had the test location verified on it.  I don't throw any paperwork away.  It's a crazy quirk of mine.  I found a number to call, but couldn't call til 8a.m.  Caleb had to be there at 7:45.  I tried printing a ticket online, set up an account for Caleb, had to pick his interests and aspirations and college major hopefuls {did I mention he's in 7th grade?} and when I was all done, I got a message that he wasn't registered for any tests.  I barely slept.  I woke up with my heart pounding.  Sick.  I ended up driving Caleb and Co. to Ludington myself just in case I could take care of the matter.  Worst case scenario would be Caleb rode back home with me.

I asked him{after reminding him for sure two times last week and possibly three}if he had his calculator.  He just stared at me. {are you seeing a pattern?}  How in the hell do you take an SAT without a calculator?  I found his old solar one that never worked in class unless he sat by the window and a flashlight.  I handed him both and told him to charge the calculator on the way.  So red neck.

The highway was the worst it's ever been while I've been the driver.  White knuckled all the way.  It was so dark and so snowy and although it looked like the slow lane had been plowed, the snow was blowing so bad I couldn't tell most of the time where i was and hit the rumble strips many, many times.  The worst experience. 

We got to the school in plenty of time.  Early in fact.  When we got inside, I gave a twenty five second sob story to the lady in charge.  Everything we've received states the student can not get in without an admission ticket and id.  It took her less than five seconds to tell me not to worry about it.  Only seven students were signed up for the test.  You mean to tell me the cold sore on the bottom corner of my lip was for nothin'??  Yay for Caleb.  Boo for me.  I had to turn around and jump back on the highway.

I took a nap, Andrew came home from his sleepover, Kyle played video games, Caleb came home from testing and I don't know what Keith did.  We cleaned house, got ready for Andrew's soccer game and headed to Red Lobster for dinner.  Caleb's idea.  Yuuuh-ummm!!

The game was lost, but a lot of hustlin' was going on!  The opposing team was just really good.  Afterward, the boys all went bowling with the Blankstrom boys and the Buchberger boys.  I headed to the 'Gue for major girl time.  By major I mean we stayed up til 4a.m. chatting, slept til 9 and chatted  til 1!!!!!  As Kyle would say...Niiiiiiiiiice!!!

Kyle cracks me the heck up.  Want to share a few oh so randoms from the weekend...{they're going in the book}

Kyle: Mom's kind of little like me. {yes, dear, I am}  Mom, you look like you're five-when you're not wearing high heels.

Kyle: i want to keep it humble
Keith: I've never seen a humble bone in your body.
Kyle:Yeah, but I want one...

Kyle: What?  I'm trying to be nice-o {nicer}
Me: You are?  Then why isn't it working for you?
Kyle:{shrugs, raises eyebrows and sticks his lips out} Don't know."

Kyle: What are Mad Libs?
Keith:You've got to use verbs and adverbs. {I think there was more to this explanation from the boys}
Kyle: Oh good.  I love adverbs.

No comments: