10.18.2010

Just Breathe...

I am breathing a sigh of relief.  I think i jinxed myself by saying that i am having a slow fall season.  The last two weeks have been crazy busy.  In two weeks time a group of 8 planned {and pulled off I might add} a community wide pep rally.  Yeehaaaa!  It was a total jackpot of an idea. {and a definite shout out goes to the Rake fam for brainstorming the entire premise}  Whitehall did this years back and as I understand it, it lasted two years at the last run.  We could have done so much more, but not necessarily in the time frame we had.  Surprisingly, my favorite part of the night wasn't even the presentation or the speaker. {though he was PHENOM!}  My favorite part was prior to the partaay...I was totally geeked by the incredible crowd of people buzzing around the stadium eating hot dogs and playing catch pre-show.  I couldn't help but get excited seeing it.  Hearing it.  Experiencing it.  Just knowing I was a part of it.  I am a VIKING. What a night.

That was last Wednesday night.  Last Friday night I pulled off something else, but just barely.  Our football coach thought an alumni tent would be a fabulous idea at the Homecoming game.  I agreed to assist.  The only assisting I had done was help design a logo for the tees.  But that was just the beginning of the story.  I won't bore with the semi-nightmare but the person in charge stepped down and I was the lone ranger.  I begged for advice from the master {lovely Jen Zwemer} and I was off.  The event didn't turn out how i had hoped but it turned out much better than I worried it would.  Luckily I have good friends to help get the ball rolling.  That and a little help from the graduating class of 1960 didn't hurt.  Poor people...they came down to the track because they were under the impression that there would be a big to-do over them at halftime.  Their hardship was my saving grace.  They were a bunch of fun folks who happened to fill my tent right up.☺  Heels, on the other hand, are definitely a hardship when worn standing on a track for 5 1/2 hours. {and while lifting and squatting and carrying...}  Super lucky me celebrated our win with friends afterward.  'Nothing a little food and bare feet can't fix.

Saturday I spent a girl day with my besties.  It was like Sex and the City, except no sex.  {haha}  It was a gorgeous fall afternoon and we headed to Grand Rapids for the day.  It was great to catch up. We stopped for lunch, then stopped for drinks, {coke for my headache}then stopped for drinks again {Starbucks...the headache was horrific} before taking in the beautiful scenery downtown.  It couldn't have been better.  We stopped at a couple consignment shops and an import market for, what else, drinks {wood chuck hard cider, bottles of Witches Brew and bottles of Moscato} then stopped at a gas station for drinks {pop} and headed to Texas Roadhouse.  I was starvin' Marvin and enjoyed every last bite of my steak and potato.  Yum.

Between my sinus headache, lack of sleep and barely mobile limbs {remember the heels} I was a hot mess.  I must have also been sick because I skipped out on church {but my hubs and kids went} and then skipped out on the Shoreline Clean Up.  It was great that someone organized this for our school.  Volunteers showed up for 2 hours yesterday to weed, sweep, spread mulch and whatever else to pretty up our school.  It started out as a family affair but then Keith's football meeting time got switched.  I was feeling crappy so I dropped the bigs off to represent.  I felt so guilty leaving.  My boys were okay but I just felt like I should have helped out.  When I picked the boys up, I couldn't get enough from Caleb.  He said he had so much fun and that prompted me to go into a 15 minute speech about kindness and doing for others.  I was so proud of both of them.  What a sense of pride for them to help out their community.  The best news??  The Beacon showed up to do a little write up and took a picture with the boys in it.  Super fab.  I think that sealed the deal for Andrew, being that he's a movie star in the making.  Ahh...fame.

One more Wednesday game and one more Friday game {Thursday as well, to not slight the jayvee}and we are done for the season.  It's been a tough one so I think it's about time.  Nothing in the works for late fall or winter {no coaching for me} so let the projects begin! {or resume...right, Warren??}  yes, i still need a sink.  Looking ahead, the boys' room will be painted soon and then the living room.  Yippee.  Oh, and I got Christmas money today!  Joy. Joy. Joy.

No comments: