10.30.2009

Pre Holiday Goodness...

I've been a bit under the weather all week. I've done tons at the house in small spurts. I've had some good hours. I knew in advance I would be putting costumes together Wednesday evening, as well as treat stuff for preschool. Wednesday came, I felt horrible, and when I got home {no church for me} Andrew started right in on the costume thing. Ugh, child, leave me alone. I will get it all done. I always do. That night, however, I was a tad worried. It dawned on me that Kyle's party was the very next day...the day before the other parties. I gathered my supplies and put them in a pile. I love befores and afters. Here is the before...
A little jumbled mess. Love it. Oh, except for one small problem. You know, I was going to do the whole "this pic {above pile} + this pic {...? }" The glue gun was missing!!!!!! I can't do my project without my beloved glue gun. I tore through my basement. twice. And through drawers. And cupboards. And closets. Nothing. I decided to move on to my treats. I prepare for the same type of intro...the supply pic...what the? The googly eyes were missing! A little breath {or 5} later, I realized I used the gun last Halloween for both Caleb's costume and Kyle's Handy Manny hammer with the eyes. I headed to the basement one more time. Nothing. I decided to forget about the fun treat containers and instead focused on how to get the striped on Kyle's pants. I suppose in any other situation I would not have cared, but K's pants have stripes and I wanted to mimic his uniform as closely as possible. BINGO! If the gun isn't in my craft room, something else is. I found remnants of ribbon tape for scrapbooking {$$} and pieced it all together. I should have taken a pic of just the pants because the results were pheeenom! Yay for me for being so...determined. Yeah, that's it.

Sneak peek...{more preschool pics later}
Skipping ahead, after the stripes ordeal, I needed to deal with Andrew. His costume sucked. I told him this is the last year I pay for his costume while the other kids get bits and pieces. The costume came with a mask, but the kind that is only the front half. It also included a coat/vest/shirt/tie combo. By combo I mean one ugly piece of fake. No pants. I purchased a punk rock wig, face paint and green hairspray and went to work. I should have posted the before of the wig. Andrew modeled it. I think it went to his butt. I cut it, but he looked more like Garth from Wayne's World than anyone else. You can't really do a fun cut on a crappy wig. I tried my 3 barrel iron to loosen the crimp but I ended up melting the hair. Perfect. Done. We took it outside and used the entire can of hairspray. Neon green. Good enough. I also hated the one piece suit so I cut out the fake collared shirt and tie. I added a different shirt and fun tie and was rather pleased. I just needed pants and we were good to go.

I realized this morning that I never picked up pants. Whoops. Leave it to me to remember I found a pair of black fun pants at Goodwill for Andrew for church a couple of months back. WOOT!! Andrew wore his mask to school today so I wouldn't have to worry about the makeup situation at the soccer game tonight.
Caleb was easy. he changed his mind again. Mr. Potato Head was going to have a hard time fitting at a desk. Caleb loves the Pink Panther and Inspector Clouseau so it was only fitting that he dress as that. It started with the face disguise and ended up with the hat and magnifying glass. I really wanted the pipe but the adult in me came out and I realized it wasn't appropriate for school. Bummer. I own a khaki trench. Bingo. We simply added Caleb's own white button down, a tie and khaki pants. Quite Caleb, if you ask me.
All 3 were crazy excited about their costumes and showing them off at school. Ooh, it's 5:07 and I gotta get outta here. Gotta get Kyle and dash to the soccer game at 6. Go Master Tag Maniacs!!

3 comments:

JT said...

Kyle is rockin'! Cutest lil' cop I've ever seen!!! The big boys look great too.

Mandy said...

Still laughing my a$$ off about you, the curling iron, and the wig! I have never laughed so hard at a post! Thanks so much!! You truely are one of the most creative mom's I know. thanks for making me smile!! *still laughing on the wig* ha ha ha!!

Not your Happily Ever After said...

Great Costumes. You have such a creative mind!