...and one reality is that I don't play well with others.
Cheerleading is going so well. I am loving everything about coaching. I like that the final decisions are mine, all mine. I enjoyed coaching the little girls but it definitely presented many challenges. I am strong minded, who knew {?} and I had personal conflicts along the way. I thought I would be coaching alone and that I'd be coaching 9 and 10 year olds. In the end I coached a range of 7 to 12 year olds and co-coached because of the lack of participants. I really really enjoyed my Coach Gripton {she is mine} and look forward to working with her next year {there are no other options} but... I warned Lori from the get go that I might step on toes and it certainly wasn't my intention but I really didn't know how well I would work with another coach. I did take charge more than once and felt bad doing so but I just had to.
Ah, the moral to my story is this...I work with no one. I am the coach and what I say goes. {in a good way} If things get messed up, I am the one to blame...and I'm sure it'll happen. It isn't just that, though, It is also that these girls get it enough to know that what I say goes. I know that most of you are waiting for the Duh moment to hit, but working with preteens who want to tell me how it is is way different than teens actually asking me what I think. And wait, since when did teenage girls start asking adults anything?? I have a great group of girls. The drama is more age related than anything else. There is no cattiness or any of that other crap...yet.
Speaking of drama...I took one of my girls home the other night and we talked about her bad day and the drama that unfolds in high school. I told her high school is supposed to be some of the best years of her life and to try not to get caught up in the middle of it all. I told her it is much easier for an adult to say {in her opinion} but, because I seem to relate to the younger crowd, {??} I thought it would make a bit of a difference to tell her that. Then it happened...for the first time in my life...She said, "Well, you know, like when you were in high school-if you can even remember that long ago..." That Long Ago?? I laughed to myself but when I got home I had a really great big laugh over it. it was so funny to me. These girls are all 14 years old except for 3 of them, which means I am technically old enough to be any of their moms! WOW! I am still cool to the little girls because they know my sons. However...these girls don't care about little kids and I am, I guess, just old. Hello reality.
4 comments:
You are an Alpha. You just need to coach with people who take direction well.
I have 3 high school age cousins. I know exactly what you mean by being treated like an senior(citizen!)
Good thing we know better:)
You are not old...you are only as old as you feel? Do you feel old:)?
I do think that it is a little funny...
haha aunt jodi!
i laughed when i read that.
you look and are "hipp" like a collage student..but yet ur loving and maturnal...almost like you have three boys or somthing :)
but the girls are really lucky that they have a coach that has both of the charachoristics..and i'm not just saying that so i'll be your favorite neice...LOL!!!
the girls are very lucky to have a coach like you, I know first hand how good you realy are. Tyler's friends will sometimes make remarks to me about my age I just take it as it comes. I already have issues with the getting older thing!
Post a Comment