I took the boys to visit Abbi at DeVos on Saturday after their soccer game. (they did win, by the way, with Caleb scoring a goal within minutes of the start of the game) I am okay with directions, so I made it to the parking ramp without a problem, but from there...We made it to the NICU, well to the floor anyway. The lady at the desk looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I told her I was there to see the Tallquists. I had to repeat myself, then actually point to their name on the sign in sheet in order to get a response from her. After she directed me around the corner to room #4, I stopped at the nurse's station because I only saw #3, and asked them to direct me to room#4. The response I got, from an on duty nurse no less, was "This isn't the OB." The story goes beyond that, but it is irrelevant to Abbi's update. I had to put it in there to once again prove that nothing goes smoothly for me.
Abbi looked great. Pat was holding her when we arrived. I cannot remember if I mentioned in my last post that the boys cannot hold Abbi after all with her catheter in her bellybutton. The risk of it being ripped out and her bleeding is too great and medicine wouldn't be administered quick enough...One of the doctors reiterated what Abbi's doctor explained earlier, that surgery could be a week from today and that they were thinking about removing Abbi's catheter and moving her to a crib. We oohed and aahed over her for a few minutes, then headed down for down for lunch. What a wonderful surprise to find the catheter had been removed while we were away and Abbi was placed in a regular bassinet. Pat and Jen were sooo excited. I just kept watching Jen as she talked to the nurse and watched her baby girl. I even took a picture of her face. To anyone else, it is just a picture of her profile...to me, it is a reminder of the happiness she is entitled to but is finally getting to feel! The boys were able to hold Abbi because of the removal of the catheter. They were overjoyed. Abbi's breathing is good. Her oxygen level is at 100% (if I am quoting this correctly) and her heart rate, though low, is steady and good. She is a true fighter. I keep telling people, as I have reminded both Pat and Jen, that she's just being a girl...giving her mommy a run for her money. Jen has been the princess of the house up until now. (I can relate) Abbi is just letting her know that there's a new sheriff in town. Soon enough, after she realizes that everyone gets it, she'll calm down and stop stressing her parents out. She just wants them to know who's boss!! I didn't mention that Abbi's doctor came up with a diagnosis. It is called Long QT Syndrome. Her heart's recovery time between beats is prolonged, causing the tachycardia episodes. This requires a pacemaker for sure, and that is where the surgery comes in. (for those just catching up) Jen has been able to get online and update her blog over the weekend. She has given the play by play of her birthing process. (not the gross stuff) I cannot wait for her to share photos. I guess I should give her the cd of the pictures I took. :) I made her a scrapbook of some of the pics so she would have something fun to look at while she is at the hospital, reminding her of that fabulous day. I should also mention that they came home last night. They needed some good sleep in their own bed. Pat had to go back to work today and the last I knew, the plan was for Jen to get a ride from someone every morning to the hospital and then Pat will go there after work and they will leave together each evening. What a tough thing. Abbi is in good hands and they really do have to have some sort of normalcy for themselves. I believe that in order to take care of your children, you have to first take care of yourself. They need all the sleep and strength they can get for their little angel.
The boys are going to the hospital with pat tomorrow after school for some "dad and Jen" time. They are also going on Wednesday because the four of them have EKGs scheduled to find out if what Abbi has is hereditary. I hope the doctors find the answers they are looking for. It is tough enough to go through this with your child, but not knowing why it is happening is so unsettling.
I hope this all makes sense. I have had to stop and start so many times this morning that I don't know if my sentences are complete. I spellchecked everything but I wasn't about to go back and actually read this!! As I mentioned earlier, Jen is doing some updating on her blog, so you should definitely check it out. She may not have a lot of details on there now, so I will still do my best to inform until she is ready. She has, however, blogged the good stuff minus pictures. (and I'm sure they are coming soon)
1 comment:
Hey Jod- Thanks for keeping people updated, you're doing great, it's all making sense. Also, I put a few pics on this morning so feel free to share yours as well. I know people have been waiting to see her : )
Post a Comment